Its Official, this seaon written off!

• 14 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Its Official, this seaon written off!
« on: July 29, 2023, 17:28 »
Tropical Blackpool in July typically on average gets around 60mm of rain, so far we are at 177mm, last weekend my rain gauge recorded 80mm over two days :(

This weekend our plots on site are dying big time. I have lost all my tomato plants, spuds have soft areas, french beans dead in fact around 80% of our crops are dead/ looking very ill.
Talking to other plot holders and everyone is pretty much saying the same, they have lost most of their veg as we was under water for days.
Roll on 2024
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

Re: Its Official, this seaon written off!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 20:51 »
Oh no Aidy, I feel your pain, summer 2011 here was the same, plants just rotted off plus anything not planted didn’t thrive because there was no light, in the end I just composted everything  :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 20:55 »
So sorry Aidy that’s awful. Would you invest in a greenhouse for tomatoes, peppers etc? Not much consolation now I know. Did the tomatoes get blight?

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 22:57 »
Sorry to hear that  :( We are at about 140mm in glasgow which is a fair bit more than normal. My site is well drained enough that it doesn't get waterlogged, slightly raised beds and no dig helps too. But it's been too cool for any cucumbers to grow, the squash isn't as good as normal either and my summer salads all got eaten, ive just replanted them. At least I've not had to water outside for 6 weeks now, that's something. Hopefully the leeks and brassicas like it

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 08:42 »
So sorry for you Aidy. If I could I'd give you a handful of toms plus some pots, then rasps and leeks a bit later on just to help you out. As I can't all I can do is send you a big GG hug. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 15:05 »
Bad luck Aidy  :(

It is a lovely autumnal day here today with grey skies, rain and a damp chill in the air.  Oh wait a minute, it is still July  ::)  We have not had the devastating torrents you have had though.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 17:45 »
Sorry Aidy
We have had a lot of rain but we aren’t under water like you.
The weather is pretty odd this year I’m afraid first too hot then too wet.
Here’s to 2024 as you say. HH
Keep digging

wighty

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 18:07 »
I feel so sorry for you.  Better luck next year to you and all your allotment friends. 

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 18:11 »
Hope the next season is better for you Aidy

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 19:02 »
So sorry Aidy that’s awful. Would you invest in a greenhouse for tomatoes, peppers etc? Not much consolation now I know. Did the tomatoes get blight?

Aye up chuck, I have three greenhouses, two for Tommy's and one for peppers, the chillies/ peppers are grown in troughs so they are fine.

Problem we have is the site is low compared to land around us so it tends to flood when we get loads of rain.

Thanks for all wishes everyone. These things happen and food for thought for the future.

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 19:50 »
Sorry to hear you've been so badly hit.  Drizzle here in my patch of Kent but that's all.  Don't give up and take up bingo instead despite Blackpool having so many

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 19:55 »
Sorry to hear this Aidy - each year is a different thing, isn't it?!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 20:55 »
Very bad luck for that to happen at this time of year Aidy.
Little consolation, but this year has been a lot worse than average so far here - so wet and cool not even managed a courgette glut as the plants are reluctant to take off (as are the bees to pollinate the flowers which are reluctant to open anyway in these conditions.)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Odders

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2023, 22:00 »

Aye up chuck, I have three greenhouses, two for Tommy's and one for peppers, the chillies/ peppers are grown in troughs so they are fine.

Problem we have is the site is low compared to land around us so it tends to flood when we get loads of rain.

Thanks for all wishes everyone. These things happen and food for thought for the future.

Any chance you could build raised beds (even hugelkultur style) to keep your growing medium out of the worst of the flooding?
I've raised the low end of my garden plot by 20cm to make it more productive & it seems to be working.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 22:59 »
Sorry to hear Aidy and feel your pain...after heat in June (we were away so fortunately held back planting out some things) then the cold and wet July, slugs have been a real problem. Blight took out the outdoor toms and impacted on the spuds. Fortunately had some toms in the greenhouse ripening nicely and living on kale and green beans. Parsnips, carrots and beetroot either didn't germinate, were eaten or just haven't grown. Took up onions early as so wet thought they may rot.
Was hopeful for plenty of squash but since being planted about 3-4 weeks ago have hardly grown at all. Also got fingers crossed that the figs will eventually ripen, late last year and even later this year.....so yes, roll on 2024.

xx
Well I know the official answer but ......

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 09:24
by Rob the rake
xx
Allotmenteering is good for you - its official

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 17:24
by JamPan
xx
It's Official I Hate The Wind!

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 13:48
by Stratts
xx
Tastiest tomato: it's official!

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 22:41
by jhub

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 55 queries.