Peach protection

• 7 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Peach protection
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:02 »
Hi All
I've got 2 peach trees in large pots that I overwintered in my small greenhouse to prevent the dreaded peach leaf curl. One is a patio type which is obviously smaller, that I bought 2 years ago to replace the larger one ( or so I thought) after the larger one succumbed to peach leaf curl after inadequate winter cover a couple of years ago. The larger one made a great recovery last year and had no ill effects of the previous years disease.
 The problem I have is that they both need to come out of the greenhouse in 2 weeks because the greenhouse is getting a new base and has to be dismantled for a week or so. The trees have both just started flowering and I have read that once this happens leaf curl is not an issue anymore. I want to be 100% sure of them being disease free again. I don't really have anywhere to put them under temporary cover so wondered if it would be OK to just cover them with a plastic sheet to keep the rain off (which brings the PLC spores) or are they really OK to leave out in the elements for 2 weeks at this time of year

Any advice appreciated

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Peach protection
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:36 »
Peaches are grown outdoors in cold regions all the time (places like Michigan and Indiana), no winter cover.

The best prevention is appropriate fungicide treatment, both in the late autumn and in late winter/early spring. There are copper based fungicides if you want to avoid products that aren't organic-friendly. Some peach varieties (like Redhaven) are somewhat resistant to PLC.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 20:38 »
Copper based fungicides were banned for use in the UK a few years ago now, I think .
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 22:34 »
Hello a garden I work in covers the peaches with plastic covered wooden frames in october,could you make a wooden frame out of roof lathes and cover with polythene either square and cover the whole tree or stand them against a wall and make a lean to  ,copper based fungicides are banned in the UK  jezza

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:27 »
Thank You for the reply subversive plot but Yorkie is right about the banning of copper based fungicides here in the UK
I will just have to cover with plastic and hope we don't get any High winds 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 00:14 »
Thanks everyone, for the information on copper-based fungicide.  I double-checked my information (applicable in the USA), they are one of the organic-approved fungus controls over here (confirmed today).

I am curious why they were banned in the UK? If you know, please pass that on.  Thanks.

Middle Eastern Gardener

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 20:33 »
Here in France, we have been advised to put raw egg shells on our nectarine tree which has suffered from peach leaf curl for the last two years.  This is it’s last opportunity to show us it’s going to survive.  So far, so good.  I’m really interested that you say after the blossom, the leaf curl is no longer an issue, my tree is in flower so I shall cross my fingers.  I have no idea what the egg shells do, but, when in Rome so to speak...

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 05:02 »
Here in France, we have been advised to put raw egg shells on our nectarine tree which has suffered from peach leaf curl for the last two years.  This is it’s last opportunity to show us it’s going to survive.  So far, so good.  I’m really interested that you say after the blossom, the leaf curl is no longer an issue, my tree is in flower so I shall cross my fingers.  I have no idea what the egg shells do, but, when in Rome so to speak...

I'd like to know more about this method.....like do you bag a few shells and hang them in various places on the tree, and do you start around this time of the year.

xx
Peach tree

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 07:56
by gobs
xx
Peach blossom

Started by prikay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 21:04
by prikay
xx
Peach harvest

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 09:44
by mumofstig
xx
Peach tree help

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 17:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 46 queries.