First time growing peppers - HELP

• 9 Replies

wolfmoon

« on: July 18, 2007, 20:28 »
Hi

I've just started growing my own veg but having problems with my sweet peppers :( . They have started flowering but the first four have fallen off after a few days of flowering. There are black marks around the base of the flowering stem is this a sign of something wroung. There growing in a grow bag no peat along with my tomato plant in a small plastic green house

any help welcome

:mrgreen: .

Claire
"Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, laugh it off, , take chances, & never have regets because at one point, everythimhg you did was exactly what you wanted."

davep

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:11 »
yeah,the flowers do that when they haven't pollinated.dont worry,some will take and some won't.you could try giving them a little tickle with a paint brush(the inside of the flowers that is :wink: ).i'm sure somebody on here will give you better advice than i can though!

hermon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:44 »
are they wet enough? i had that problem last year then this year i found from somewhere they like it wet.

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 18:19 »
actually peppers prefer well drained soil i grow mine in 12 inch pots with three inches of 20mm stone in the bottom then fill with potting compost they dont like to get their feet wet as quoted by dave Dewitt visit chillisgalore.com for all the help you will need on peppers :)

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 20:55 »
Some of my flowers dropped off but still a bumper crop, growing indoors.  Outdoor ones stil in flower.  The tickling could be it though as I didn't do that till I started to panic about the flower drop and none dropped after.........coincidence or not .............not sure.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Fat Hen

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 20:57 »
I'll echo what bigsprouts said, peppers like good drainage, though not drying out completely.  Also some protection from full sun, often come home to limp plants after work, they're planted against my south facing kitchen wall.

Situation re - pollinating should start to improve now, in last few days I have noticed much greater activity in insect life necessary for pollination/peppers.

Also most of my chillis lose the first flush of flowers, but make up for it later.

Chillis galore is excellent site (covers all from long sweet peppers to f off hot nagas).

wolfmoon

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 21:45 »
:lol:

Thanks all for the advice I'll give them a wee tickling and see what happens I've got a few full blooms just now.

Cheers

:)

hermon

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 10:44 »
oopps mine are sitting in a tray of water in the garden i have got flowers but wether these will turn in to peppers only time will tell maybe one year i will harvest peppers. :D

mrspodington

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 20:18 »
Hi I posted the exact same question a few months ago as I had the exact same problem, but not to worry I now have loads of peppers and loads more buds and flowers that are all hanging on and doing well.
the advice I was given was to move them into a sunnier spot and hey presto it seems to have worked.
good luck.  :D
First year growing, so far, so good.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 20:28 »
Well we have some real healthy plants indoors, with some nice peppers developing, just need warmth , methinks that's why flowers are dropping, we've had fruits dropping ! Keep feeding and talking to them tenderly, after all they are tender Med plants ,trying to survive extreme weather in England !! in July 2007 !!
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

xx
Growing peppers

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 13:18
by Debz
xx
Growing peppers, to nip or not to nip?

Started by Bolthardy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:12
by Kristen
xx
growing peppers as perennials

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 13:30
by shokkyy
xx
Can sweet peppers/chillis/toms just stop growing?

Started by Mahogony on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 21:18
by Stoatus

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 38 queries.