Leafmould

• 16 Replies

garddwr

Leafmould
« on: October 19, 2008, 16:18 »
Been busy today clearing leaves,borders and pots.
I finished building the leafmould bin yesterday and started filling it up today:

Anyone else have a leafmould bin/heap ?
Haven't done it before so I don't know what to expect ! Does anyone have any success with it ? I've seen them do it on Gardeners World but they have success with everything don't they ....

poultrygeist

Leafmould
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 16:20 »
Not yet. But having seen yours, I might well make one. Got some pallet wood and a bit of mesh spare.

And a fair few leaves to put in. How long do they take to rot down ?

Rob

garddwr

Leafmould
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 16:24 »
Well it said on Gardeners World this morning if you use a lawn mower or vacum thing to pick them up and keep it wet then you could use  it as a mulch by spring and use as fine potting compost by this time next year

poultrygeist

Leafmould
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 16:36 »
I thought they had to be kept dry  :?

Good job you told me. Don't know about chopping up though. The lawnmower doesn't pick up anything damp and I only have a lawn rake (manual version :) ).

Rob 8)

gingercharlie

Leafmould
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 16:46 »
going to make one myself,as friend of mines a landscape maintenance contractor and has builders bags upon builders bags full of them each winter with having to collect them from is sites.

sando8901

Leafmould
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 17:02 »
I picked up loads of leaves two years ago and put them in bin bags with holes cut in the bottom and left them to it - top open to elements. Got 30l of really good stuff when I emptied them out a few months back, Put the unrotted stuff back in the bags and left as usual. I don't chop them up as I don't have the equipment for it

Its a slow process but its worth it.

Celery

• Experienced Member
Leaf mould
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 17:06 »
I use the rotary mower on the highest setting for collecting them. :lol:

peabody

leaf mould
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 21:11 »
council guy bags them up and leaves (leafs) them at various places to be picked up later by council truck, i pick them up and compost ,had to tell council as the poor chap was nearlysacked for dossing on the job.

mikem

• Experienced Member
Leafmould
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 21:25 »
I went out early one Sunday morning last year and filled 6 builders bags full of leaves and then just piled them up in a large compost bin that I made out of an old fence.  It was about 6 feet high and some 4 feet square.  By today it had rotted down to about 2 feet high so I have filled 2 of the 330 litre large plastic compost bins and I'll leave it over winter. I guess that it will be ready by next year.  I'll be "popping out" next weekend and get another 6 builders bags full; not sure that the Council will like it as there is bound to be some Health & Safety issue but I work on the basis that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!  :D

compostqueen

Leafmould
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 22:41 »
I've had my bins for yonks and they work really well.  You fill them up and they slump to nothing in about a year. I have a  two bay one made out of chicken wire and round poles.  My leaves have been in the bins for 12 months now and I need to start the process again with newly-fallen leaves so I've scraped the rotted leaves into black bin bags with a few holes punched in. I'm going to leave it to carry on rotting til it's turned into proper leafmould which I want to use for outdoor sowings for carrots etc.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Leafmould
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 23:57 »
Really good stuff.
Very cheap.
Plentiful supply at this time of the year.

I scoop dozens of bags of fallen leaves from the streets nearby.
I bag them up and put a couple of shovels of horse manure in each bag.
Few small holes in the bottom of the bags.
Leave for 6 months.

Hey Presto.
Wonderful mulch for April / May next year.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

gingercharlie

Leafmould
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 00:36 »
thinking of covering my entire allotmemt with leaves around 2 inches deep until spring next year when i will rotovate the plot ,anyone tried this before

Trillium

Leafmould
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 03:08 »
I did one year and the wet leaves massed in a thick, impenetrable blanket which I couldn't rotovate at all or shove the spade through :evil:  Now I make sure I collect them when dry, run the lawnmower over the pile so they're smallish bits and toss all that into the garden and then rotovate. Works a treat as next spring the soil is soft and fluffy and full of worms finishing the job.
If I can't get the lawnmower to work (happens often) I put dry leaves in thin layers on the garden and rotovate, then add more leaves and rotovate again. But never ever will I try to work wet leaves again.

woodburner

Leafmould
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 18:11 »
The wind has collected most of the leaves from the trees around the playing field into a tucked away area by the entrance to the allotments, so first thing tomorrow, I'm going up with a grass rake, some posts and some wire mesh. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Minty

• Experienced Member
Leafmould
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 21:01 »
The council sweeper has been dropping a couple of loads a day off right next to my plot and I was wondering where to put some to rot down as I don't have any mesh or pallets at the minuit,didn't think of using black bags so I'll go and fill a few tomorrow.

Is it worth digging any into the beds we are preparing for next spring so they can rot down in the soil over winter?

smiley
Leafmould

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 20:23
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
leafmould

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 10:08
by savbo
xx
Is Leafmould acidic?

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 12:50
by Plot 6B
clip
Bugs in leafmould

Started by welshdigger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2021, 09:21
by jambop

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 36 queries.