Allotment inspections during pandemic!

• 7 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Allotment inspections during pandemic!
« on: July 20, 2021, 08:58 »
Good Morning all I have just had a note telling me that following an inspection on Friday I’m not cultivating my allotment or its untidy! As you may imagine I wasn’t impressed as I had visited yesterday and Sunday at 7 am to water. Moreover I have an extensive range of veg growing including beetroot, broad beans, runner beans, courgettes etc. I had a good asparagus crop once they got started after the poor spring. The grass paths need mowing but the last message I had seen on inspections was that they were paused due to the pandemic. It would appear they have been reinstated without any warning. Given the fact of the ongoing pandemic my priority has been growing crops not ensuring my plot looks “Pretty”. Sorry for Rant!!
My question is are other councils inspecting at present?
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment inspections during pandemic!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 09:33 »
We had our first inspection the week before last. They did send an email 'warning' 2 weeks before that - but not everybody is on their e-mail list  ::)
So a few people were cross at receiving a letter..

Our T&C say at least 75% cultivated and paths cut below 4ins and as long as the weeds aren't causing others a problem, by seeding and spreading, they aren't that bothered. As long as you are growing veg as well as weeds  :D

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 14:16 »
I don't think our council would dare to inspect our site. They only "cut" the grass yesterday for the second time this year, most of it was over a foot tall, rather than being cut its been ironed flat.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 15:46 »
We put up notices on all our site notice boards before an inspection for those with no email, use email and Facebook. If people haven't been to the plot in the two-three weeks before the inspections one worries about the tenant anyway.

If we put a letter or notice to a tenant we are always vey specific about what is wrong and give a specified time for improvement.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 19:51 »
At our site, when they do inspect actions are not taken. Plots are left uncultivated, covered in weeds and used as builders yard. When you ask because of the weeds you just get told that the tenant has been contacted!!? Some have scraped all top soil off, removed hedgerow and chopped down established fruit trees and they are still on the site years later. Now because of the waiting lists they've stopped those that have proven they want to garden, taking on another plot......sorry for the rant, love my plot despite what others are getting up to.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 21:43 »
I don't think our council would dare to inspect our site. They only "cut" the grass yesterday for the second time this year, most of it was over a foot tall, rather than being cut its been ironed flat.

We've not even had a cut this year! The guy who works for the council said he has been down at the request and was going to send letters to the (non-existent) plot holders who have not been cultivating theirs so we'll see what happens. It's such a shame as there has been such a demand for allotments since the pandemic and yet none have been allocated since I raised this last October.  :(

mower man

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 17:19 »
We had a site inspection last month and apparently, all plots are looking good LOL
well my friend and I did our own inspection
3 plots need attention
3 plots need to go down to half plots ( because a full plot is much for them )
2 plots need eviction notice ( nothing been done this season )
also 3 of the above belong to a committee members
we have over 35 people awaiting an allotment  Grrrrrrrr
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 15:03 »
We inspect twice a year in May and September and all plot holders know roughly when they will take place.  We cancelled May 2020 due to lockdown but started again in September.
We always try to take extenuating circumstances into account, especially when a plot has been well worked before.  So it may be the case if you think no action is being taken on an unworked plot.
This May we issued 5 warning letters. Following that 1 has given up, there is now activity on 2 plots and 2 will be evicted next month if they don't show up.
We are not overly fussed about tidiness as long as people are making an effort and are growing things other than weeds.
We used to have many unworked plots under Council control when the job was too big for 1 allotment officer, but now we manage it ourselves we are much more on top of things.  We give an occasional nudge between inspections if things aren't looking good.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 15:05 by AnneB »

xx
The dreaded Plot inspections!!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 13:12
by Lee1978
xx
Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 16:14
by jolly jen
xx
Allotment Art

Started by dawninspain on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 13:57
by iwantanallotment
xx
New Allotment

Started by Glo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2014, 21:28
by colin120

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 48 queries.