mulching

• 4 Replies

jambop

mulching
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:39 »
I have a pretty big area of rough grass that during the spring and summer gets cut regularly . I was wondering if the clippings could or indeed should be used as a mulch between rows of veg's to help blind out weeds and keep in the moisture? I have thought about it but am worried about getting even more weeds in the plot, because they are bound to be in there somewhere are they not :) I do spend a lot of time in the veg plot with the hoe to keep the place clean of weeds but mulching may be just the answer I am looking for. Which veg's would benefit most or are suitable for mulching?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: mulching
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:52 »
Grass cuttings make a good mulch, but dry it a bit first or it's just a cloggy pile of rotting grass. To stop weeds it needs to be thick enough to stop light reaching the soil surface.

When I have some I use it around my potatoes, where I don't hoe.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 13:00 »
as long as you are cutting the rough grass before any seed heads appear shouldn't be too many seedlings.
in between potatoes are great as it will also stop any potatoes greening. in between peas and beans too.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 19:25 »
As the above, dry of slightly first to avoid a smelly clump. Cut before seeds set to avoid a proliferation of weeds. Any vegetable (or flower) benefits from mulching to converse moisture, even out temperatures, and deter weeds. Go for it!
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 20:58 »
The only comment / warning I'd add is that you shouldn't do it if you've applied fertiliser or weedkiller to the grass before it's been cut.  Look at the label for instructions, but it generally says you shouldn't compost it for x number of cuts, or similar.  Avoid using it as mulch for the same duration.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Mulching

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 21:58
by Trillium
xx
Mulching

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:14
by Goosegirl
xx
mulching

Started by neil84 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 09:32
by JayG
xx
mulching mad !

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 14:19
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 39 queries.