Dead Strawberry Plants

• 2 Replies

Abunndance

Dead Strawberry Plants
« on: May 21, 2021, 11:09 »
I planted bare root strawberry plants (runners with lots of roots), making sure I kept the crown of them proud about a month ago. Slowly, they are turning black and dying.  I went from twelve down to three now.  Our weather has been cold, windy and wet.  I've never had any problems with strawberry plants before.  This Spring has been very challenging!  Any tips, please?  Anyone else with this problem?

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Dead Strawberry Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 13:34 »
Yes, my parents have lost a lot of strawberry plants too,  their own rooted runners that they planted in the Spring, it was the prolonged Spring drought that finished them. Planted on mounds, it was hard to get enough water into their sandy soil. 

Plants that were moved into position in the Autumn have done much better, they had longer to establish and get their roots down, so that would be a tip.

One of  the problems with extreme weather is trying to work out what to do for the best, should you plant on the mound to avoid rot in wet weather, or in the hollow to make watering easier during droughts!

G&R

Nobbie

Re: Dead Strawberry Plants
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 13:39 »
I planted two dozen bare rooted plants in December on ridges and lost about half of them. Suspect a lot of it was due to a very dry April. I planted out the strongest and potted up the weakest and all the potted up ones were fine. Given the timing it looks like yours have rotted off in all the rain. Surprising, since they are usually very resilient.

xx
Strawberry Plants all dead

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 19:07
by Eblana
xx
Strawberry plants - dead leaves

Started by toxorebel on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 22:39
by SkipRat
xx
dead potted tom plants

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 20:52
by mashbintater
xx
dead sprout plants is it too l8

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:41
by gobs

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.