Growing > Growing FAQs and other Information

Munty's runner bean frame

(1/55) > >>

Digger Dave:
This thread is a discussion about Munty's Bean frame.

This is the basic design structure.

edit to replace photobucket blocked photos

Aunt Sally:
Yup...  I'll take a piccy and post it  :!:

Here we are:

The plants have not reached the top of the frame yet as the vertical plus diagonal length must be about 9 ft.

The trellises have sweet peas on them - just for fun  :D

The beans dangle down and are very easy to find for picking.

I have also grown a similar number of plant in the traditional double row A frame way and so far I would say I have picked 1 1/2 to 2 times more beans from the Munty frame.  I've probably picked about 15 lbs of beans so far :shock: 
You can't see from these pictures but the plants are flowering very heavily.

This is definitely the way I will always be growing my beans in the future. The old timers on our site are very impressed  :!: 
A big hug and kiss for Munty from Aunty  :!:

BensGrandad:
My brother put some of those 2in thick poles up for my mothers beans one at each end and one across like a football goal and then put a net from the ground up and over the horizontal bar and  back to the ground but the weight of the bean plants, presumably, broke the bar.

Could one use net instead of string for constructing one of the types described here or would the weight again be too much for the standard pea/bean netting.

loubylou29:
That looks incredible. I can't wait to build one next year. Did you use bamboo canes in the horizontal and proper posts (i mean proper wood) for the vertical to make it a permant fixture?

Look fab I am jelous I didn't get one made this year!

Aunt Sally:

--- Quote from: "loubylou29" ---That looks incredible. I can't wait to build one next year. Did you use bamboo canes in the horizontal and proper posts (i mean proper wood) for the vertical to make it a permant fixture?
--- End quote ---

I used thick wooden stakes for the uprights driven into the ground.  I completed the basic frame with bamboo canes (as you can see in the photo of me constructing it) lashed together with cable ties.  I then tied hop string on for the beans to climb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version