Poll

Would you buy a planter that utilises a small outdoor space, allowing you to grow vegetables, whilst at the same time reducing the number of planters needed to just one?

Yes
6 (30%)
No
9 (45%)
Not to sure
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: November 18, 2008, 21:22

Help a student gardener design a planter

• 32 Replies

Uni Gem

« on: October 19, 2008, 22:22 »
HI I am Uni Gem

I am a university student, training to be a secondary school design technology teacher and I need help!

I love gardening, mainly veg growing.  I am currently trying to design a product as part of my uni course. I'm focusing my project on, growing your own vegetables, in small out door areas, such as, a balcony.

I have some ideas, as I grown my own vegetable but I need to carry out some market research for my design folder, and thought that a forum would be the ideal way to get ideas.  What I need is your comments on what you would want from a planter in a small outdoor space.

No matter where you live or the size of your garden, all your comments are needed!  What features would YOU like to have in your ideal planter if you could have it made to suite your needs.  Also what veg. would you want to grow in it?

I need comments on:

Size, style (rustic, modern etc), materials (plastic, wood, metal), would you like it to be self watering, what colour (bright, earthy, etc), would it like it to be made from recycled materials, how much you would be prepared to spend on it.

Please, please, please help!!!!!
Many thanks
Gemma:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 15:14 »
Hi Gemma

I've edited your post a little to make it easier to read and hopefully you'll get lots of useful replies.

If I needed a planter to grow my veg in it might be because I had a mobility problem, so I'd like it to be at a height that would mean I don't have to bend much to look after it  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 15:27 »
I wouldnt like a 'one container grows all' personally, because I like having different pots for different veg. I prefer separate ones because of differing harvest times, growing mediums and seed planting times.

If I did use a 'one grows all' container it would have to be deep enough for the different veg I wanted to grow, and could also include an optional climber for runner beans etc.

Also, I could see this being jumped upon by companies selling it at a high price when with such a differing array of pots available it wouldnt be hard to utilise a large enough pot already available

Good luck with the project!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 15:29 »
When I lived in London I only had window ledges to grow things on, but they were large, four feet wide and eighteen inches deep.  An all in one system would have been much better than individual pots.  

Ideally, it would have to be made from recycled material, either expandable or easy to clip together to make all sizes, definately bright cheerful colours, inexpensive, easily secured to a wall or railings and lightweight.

Hope that helps.
Cheese makes everything better.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 15:54 »
Here we go again. What has happened to the freedom of speech.

It seems like any post that moderators do not agree with get quietly deleted.
The original post was an absolute disgrace and the comments that ensued were well deserved and none of them were rude, just accurate opinions.

While we all make mistakes with spelling from time to time it should be noted that while most of us are here for relaxation where the odd slip does not matter, the original post reportedly came from someone at university planning to become a teacher.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 16:00 »
Have you got out of the wrong side of the planter today Eristic  :roll:

We try to help people on here rather than moan and critisize them  :!:

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 16:21 »
I voted yes as i thought not about what i ideally want as i have an allotment, but what the people around me in their towering blocks of flats could use.

One container that suits all sounds ok, but what about something that could accomodate several different containers of different sizes and shapes! Different veggies need different conditions so this approach may be better.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 16:22 »
I forgot to vote  :oops:

Just done so with a helpful "not sure"

Thinking of one big pot has its down side eg blueberries don't like the same compo maybe as other fruit/veg.  It's easier to tip out spuds if they're in their own tub.  Refreshing compost would be a big job rather than being able to be done as and when with individual pots. Thinking practically here as you say balcony which implies stairs, so materials to site would be important

Can't think of anything else for the moment  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 16:33 »
Here are some other post that I may have inadvertently removed.  Sorry I was pushed for time  :roll: :

Quote from: "PinkTequila"
Are you trying to design a planter that utilizes a small space yet does away with the need for any other planters ... like a tardis planter? If this is the case then I guess the design of the planter is not as important as the growing medium in it to allow intensive planting.

Quote from: "Rampant_Weasel"
i think patio planters and pots have the small growing area market sewn up between them....i think you would be best advised to focus on a different aspect of gardening as your very limited with your current theme.
hope this helps :?

Quote from: "DD."
I've amended the poll title from:

"Would you buy a planter which utilities a small outdoor space, allowing you to grow vegtable. Whilst reducing the number of planters need to just on?"

to what you now see above.

I've voted "no" on the basis that having about 800 sq m of allotment, I don't really need to be spending money on planters!

Quote from: "home made pie"
Hi Gemma

I have voted NO on the basis that I actually like planters grouped together, ie: different heights, sizes etc.

Also, I don't think I would want all my veg in the same planter because of pests and disease, I think this would be harder to control in a small confined space.

And...you would be disturbing all the veg when some things need digging up yet others need a longer time to grow.

Of course this is only my opinion and I do have a big garden.  You need to target your market research at people who live in apartments and then you will know if there is a need for this product...all the best with it though

Quote from: "Ice"
when I lived in London I only had two window ledges to grow on.   Being a Victorian conversion they were huge, about 4' wide and 18" deep.  I grew loads of tomatoes in pots, but they had to be well secured as in a strong wind they became missiles.  The neighbour below me was not amused, the miserable old bat.

Quote from: "lobot"

I have voted yes, because not everyone is lucky enough to have an allotment or even a garden.  I agree that it needs to be split into more than one section though.

Quote from: "peapod"
HI UniGem
I voted no, because I like my plants to be in different containers...it make for easier feeding, planting and harvesting IMO. Theres so many shapes and sizes to choose from that even when in a small area, you will always find one to fit your needs.
I also think that a one size fits all container would inevitably end up costing more than the same size container you could use (e.g. a recycling box) You can even grow a lettuce in a cut-off plastic milk container!

Paula

I think that's got them all !

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 17:05 »
you forgot mine  :shock:  :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 17:16 »
I put you back on your own post dear - scroll up  :D  :lol:

Bodger

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 18:10 »
Erstic said

"Here we go again. What has happened to the freedom of speech.

It seems like any post that moderators do not agree with get quietly deleted.
The original post was an absolute disgrace and the comments that ensued were well deserved and none of them were rude, just accurate opinions.

While we all make mistakes with spelling from time to time it should be noted that while most of us are here for relaxation where the odd slip does not matter, the original post reportedly came from someone at university planning to become a teacher. "

I say      

If freedom of speech was restricted to people who only speak or write like ' wot you do' then not only would this forum, but the whole world would be a very sad and stereo type place. Peoples inability to spell or to express themselves should never be a bar to them joining in with our community. You'll never hear me or the vast majority of our members complain.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 18:29 »
Hear hear Bodger

Paula

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 18:30 »
Bodger I for one am pleased that the posts were removed as I found them rude and offensive and it wasn't aimed at me maybe you should take a closer look at what is offensive to others and count your blessings for your abilities.

Nicky

Bodger

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 18:35 »
Nicky re read what I've said. I think I was referring to the fact that peoples spelling and grammar should not be a bar to them posting as often as they please.  I hope that you have misunderstod the point I've tried to make.
The first part of my post was actually a quote.
Blimey :lol:  I can't do right for doing wrong these days. :lol:

xx
Help a student gardener 2 ( Uni project research) Back AGAIN

Started by Uni Gem on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Student, Academic Year Possibilities - Please help :)

Started by charliefoths89 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 09:13
by Matthew Gayles
xx
Calling all allotment helpers, please help university student

Started by allotmentstudentyork on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2012, 10:57
by arugula
xx
Large planter

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 17:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 40 queries.