Is it easy to build a garden wall?

• 6 Replies

Oliveview

Is it easy to build a garden wall?
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:52 »
We need a wall built, it will be 8 bricks high, big chunky bricks! We have a quote from our builder neighbour, but it is more than we can afford sadly! I said to Jim we could build the wall ourselves, I am certain we could do it.  
We would dig down for the foundations, concrete them in, then build on top. I know we would have to stagger the bricks and put a 'break' every few feet.  Jim is useless at diy but we COULD build a wall!!  Any suggestions please?
Pamela
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 14:31 by oliveview »

Lardman

Re: is it easy ti build a garden wall?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 13:14 »
Depends on what the wall is doing, what you want it to look like, what its built with, any building control stuff you have to comply with over there? etc etc etc

Have a look here http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur03.htm.

Its a skill like any other - but with some basic planning, attention to detail and a few tools it perfectly possible to DIY it.

If you've never done brick / block work Id also suggest something like this http://www.brickytool.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95 Its will make your life so much easier and the end result will look less "rustic"  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Is it easy to build a garden wall?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 17:50 »
If Brian was coming over with me, he'd do it for you for free!  

I know the basics, we could have a go when we are over if you like?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 17:52 by GrannieAnnie »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:59 »
Jim is useless at diy but we COULD build a wall!!  Any suggestions please?
Pamela

Probably depends on exactly how useless Jim is at DIY!  ::)

I find that with most unfamiliar DIY tasks (i.e. nearly all of them!) if you do your research into technique and materials carefully, and don't try to work at the speed of the pro's (not difficult!), it is perfectly possible to do a good job (I rebuilt a partially collapsed garden wall a few years ago - I really enjoyed it but must admit the final section looked a lot better than the first!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 19:26 »
and try to start somewhere iit's not so visible so you get better by the time it is!

Or have a practice area? I pass a building site on the tram and there's a place where they I guess they test new people, just a 4' section on wall they build and knock down again. You don't even need to waste bricks..make your mortar weak and you could build, knock down, brusg off and start again until you're happy you've got the hang of it.

I've done the base for my greenhouses and I'm not v practical

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 17:58 »
if its just a general wall there pretty easy to do, people just get daunted by the thought of building lol...aslong as your mixture for cement is correct (half a bag of cement to 2 or 3 building sand)..then keep the gap between bricks approx 10mm then your off!...put a string across and tap the brick edge to match it then you get straight + even brickwork.

Hope this helps
Axe

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 11:23 »
What's the wall for? If it's retaining then you'll need to make it stronger than if it's decorative.

On the foundation - if you're enjoying hot weather in Spain then it can dry out too fast so you'll need to cover it with some sheeting for a couple of days as it goes off (so I understand, we don't have that problem in Wales!)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Bricking it. How do I build a wall?

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 16:44
by shaun
xx
I want to build a greenhouse

Started by diospyros on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 08:31
by finleyfreyaseth
xx
New tunnel build

Started by jambop on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2021, 17:36
by rowlandwells
xx
going to build a coldframe

Started by philskin on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 08:50
by philskin

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.