« on: February 21, 2008, 21:58 »
any one got any ideas on a chick brooding box as ill be needing one soon
thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
brooding box help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 22:24 »
GrannieAnnie may be the one to help you with that.  She has just raised 300 chicks from day old to POL.  Send her a PM if she dosen't pop up here   :D

naturesparadise

brooding box help
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 22:53 »
thats a lot of chooks  :lol:  :lol:  cool ill see what she says

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
brooding box help
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 23:09 »
YooHoooooooo!!

My brooding box Darren was an 8x6 shed!  Brian rounded off the corners with hardboard so the chicks couldn't huddle into a corner, but you can make a big circle out of cardboard.  I'm thinking I may get some of the corrugated cardboard from Solway Feeders for my next lot, then just chuck it away when the chicks have outgrown it!

We got our heat lamps from Solways too, I've found their prices to be about the cheapest, and after sales is good too as they are farmers, so know what they are talking about!  (I really do not have any vested interest in Solways, but they are good prices!)

We got both infra red light bulbs and the dull emitter ceramic ones.  Infra reds give out both light and heat, but Brian screwed the chain through the shed roof and water dripped onto the lamp, ran through the shade and exploded the bulb, leaving me with 6 dead chicks who died of the subsequent stampede!!  The dull emitter bulbs are heat only, but they are more energy efficient, so when I used them, I also put a small red light bulb in the brooder too!

When the chicks are tiny, you put the lamp really low down, I think it was about 18inches off the ground, and hung a thermometer down beside it.  I think we started them off at about 35C, then after 1 week made the lamps go higher 2inches a week. Thus reducing the heat by about 5C each time.  You should have a relative humidity thingy too, but we ran out of money so I didn't bother.  Apparently meat chicks you start off a little lower, say 30C

We started off with tiny drinkers and trough feeders at first, but the chicks quickly outgrew them and kept knocking the troughs over and wasted a lot of chick crumb.  Next time I'll put them onto the bigger feeders earlier.

They have chick crumb for 5-6 weeks, rearer until 16 weeks or so if the chicks are going to be layers, hen onto layers mash or pellets.  But if meat chickens.  chick crumb for 4 weeks, then rearer until 1 week before culling, then onto finisher.

I'll check my records tomorrow and change anything if I'm wrong, but that's roughly it!

Their brooder shed has a big window and air vents along the top, but if its windy or too cold the window stays shut.  Once they are older, like Munty says, its not the cold that kills them, its the draughts!

I copied this diagram from the internet last year, its gives you an idea of the brooder set up, but mine wasn't as long, but it was wider!

[/IMG]

Good luck with it Darren!!!!

naturesparadise

brooding box help
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 23:16 »
thanks for the info they will be egg chickens so not for meat

and i will only be able to do 3 at a time as the R-COM 3 only dose 3 eggs at a time so i wont need anything to big

GrannieAnnie

brooding box help
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 23:31 »
Okay, so take one small cardboard box...................

Actually, when I had a weak chick, I put her in one of the boxes that photocopier paper comes in, split the lid in half and fitted a small red bulb in a holder to one half of the lid, and the other half kept covered over the other half of the box, but I could move it back a bit if it got too warm.

Here's a pic of it with little mighty mouse inside.  She didn't survive, but it wasn't because of the box.  You could maybe do something a bit bigger for your 3?

[/IMG]

GrannieAnnie

brooding box help
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 00:04 »
And this is the shed NP, shows the rounded corners of hardboard and the bigger drinkers and feed troughs.  The chicks were 1 week old here!

Just to show you, how happy they all were!!!!!!  Couldn't get 300 in that shed now though!!!!!! lol

[/IMG]

naturesparadise

brooding box help
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 08:36 »
thanks for the pics i can convert a box no prob

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.