Decimated daffs

• 7 Replies

Springlands

Decimated daffs
« on: March 25, 2013, 16:05 »
The mixture of constant cold winds, and hail, sleet and snow showers had absolutely decimated my daffodils - the flowers and leaves have been ripped to pieces. I know that the goodness of the leaves has to go back into the bulbs so that they can put on a good show for the next year so I am wondering if I will get any daffs next year. Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can help them?

fatcat1955

Re: Decimated daffs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 19:23 »
If this weather ever give's up and you have some leaves left, give them a feed of GP fertiliser. BFB or Growmore will do.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 17:41 »
And a good sprinkle of blood, fish & bonemeal all around will also help - it's what's in many packaged bulb feeds.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 18:29 »
If you can, leave the leaves to die right off - I know they don't look good like that but the bulb is supposed to draw the nutrients back in that way.

Sorry to hear about your daffs - mine don't look good either, but that's because they're finished!! :D

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46 »
I planted my daff bulbs and snowdrops last september and they are all a no show??!?! could they still come through?
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 09:42 »
Thanks for everyone's comments - I will try feeding with BFB and see what happens.

Ally - if they have not come up by now it is unlikely that they will. Snowdrops are particularly difficult to grow from the dry bulbs - they do much better when planted 'in the green' which means that they are planted when they have green leaves. Where did you plant your bulbs - is it possible that they were planted somewhere very wet and that they rotted away.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:40 »
My flower bed is partly shaded in the afternoon, so I guess they could of rotted away.  I am not very good with flowers only started developing my flower bed last year, back to reading your threads and getting ideas ....  :)

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:27 »
Some good news with my daffs - some of them have flowered even though their outer leaves were totally shredded - it is not the usual display that we have but just shows how nature can come through.  :)

xx
Daffs

Started by tosca100 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 11:41
by tosca100
xx
apart from daffs

Started by Little Miss Muffet on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 12:15
by gobs
xx
Daffs out!

Started by tallulah on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 15:47
by muddywellies
xx
Daffs

Started by scabs on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 12:12
by birmancats

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.