What's the weather like where you are? 2022

• 1542 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What's the weather like where you are? 2022
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2022, 16:41 »
Fortunately Paul decided to leave Freshwater at 11.30am as all routes out of Freshwater are now blocked by fallen trees or power lines.  He got through to Shanklin which is now shut.  Our house is down in a dip so hasn't been too bad.  One fence post began to wobble so we went out and managed to shore it up and it's now firm.
Weather LIVE just tweeted
A wind gust of 122 mph at the Needles on the Isle of Wight is provisionally the highest gust ever recorded in England
:ohmy: :ohmy:

Lardman

« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2022, 17:49 »
It's just gone mad here. Looks like I'm going to lose both greenhouses  :mad: :mad:
That sucks. Has the frame been mangled or just glass damage ? I heard a couple of tiles slide down the main roof earlier but as long as they're not from the same area it's not a big issue.  It certainly looks like other places caught it much worse than here.

wighty

« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2022, 17:53 »
The Needles are so exposed and are in the direct line of fire from weather coming from the west as there is
nothing to protect them.  St Catherine's lighthouse  at Niton is the other place that records high winds. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2022, 18:13 »
It's just gone mad here. Looks like I'm going to lose both greenhouses  :mad: :mad:
That sucks. Has the frame been mangled or just glass damage ? I heard a couple of tiles slide down the main roof earlier but as long as they're not from the same area it's not a big issue.  It certainly looks like other places caught it much worse than here.
With the Vitavia the frame has been twisted which is what caused pressure on the glass that exploded. With the Eden the door seems OK except for the sliding mechanism. There's really nothing to be done until things calm down when I can properly see what needs to be done.
At the moment I'm just ignoring it since I can't repair or do anything to prevent further damage.
I really thought we'd dodged the storm bullet until it hit around lunchtime when it suddenly went wild.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2022, 07:54 »
Sorry to hear that. Same has happened to my sister on south coast. And my mum's garden wall got blown over!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2022, 08:58 »
My Vitavia is flexing, as the door end is facing the wind, so I expect mine to go unless the wind drops pdq
I was lucky, as the wind turned Westerly just after I posted this, and Vitavia survived!!
The Norfolk plastic greenhouse had one end completely trashed, door laying on the grass with it's panels, and the ones from either side smashed to pieces  :(
Reports on our Allotment society facebook page/Twitter that some sheds & greenhouses have gone over and also trees down  :(
I'm waiting for a Pharmacy delivery, so can't look at the damage 'til later - but our forecasts show more high winds this afternoon....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2022, 09:13 »
Well they're still standing but it's raining hard and breezy. Fed up does not begin to cover it.
I was lucky, as the wind turned Westerly just after I posted this, and Vitavia survived!!
The Norfolk plastic greenhouse had one end completely trashed, door laying on the grass with it's panels, and the ones from either side smashed to pieces  :(
Reports on our Allotment society facebook page/Twitter that some sheds & greenhouses have gone over and also trees down  :(
Sounds like we're not the only ones  :(

MrsPea

« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2022, 09:33 »
No damage here still have a bit of wind nothing like yesterday  :)
I Love my green house

snowdrops

« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2022, 11:01 »
Horrible,wet & cold here today. Lot calmer wind wise. Just back from the chicken run & they’re all fine as is my tunnel.
Sorry to hear about your greenhouses John & Mum. Mine (rhino) in the garden appears to be ok but I’ll go check when the rain stops. Rhino forum seems to report even in wildest places they’ve come through unscathed so maybe their advertising blurb is true!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2022, 11:58 »
Sorry to hear about your greenhouses John & Mum. Mine (rhino) in the garden appears to be ok but I’ll go check when the rain stops. Rhino forum seems to report even in wildest places they’ve come through unscathed so maybe their advertising blurb is true!
I'm sure their blurb is true - but it's a how much you can afford.

snowdrops

« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2022, 13:17 »
I'm sure their blurb is true - but it's a how much you can afford.

Can’t agree more John, but if they get damaged in the vagaries of our weather it might work out cheaper in the long run. I had to wait a long time to get mine & it is in my garden, I certainly wouldn’t pay that amount for an allotment. Very pleased with my tunnel from First Tunnels though, how did yours stand up to the winds? Perhaps that’s the way forward on your site- another tunnel?

rowlandwells

« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2022, 13:35 »
the winds dropped somewhat a few  blustery showers and cold not looking a bit like spring

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2022, 14:29 »
Apart from sunny spells first thing, it's been cold, grey and windy since. The wind is gusting at 35-45 mph again now  :(  Getting fed p with it tbh

GraciesGran

« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2022, 16:13 »
Cold, wet and windy.  Have a trampoline in the front garden along with an extra wheelie bin.  Greenhouse lost a pane of glass overnight

Hopefully will soon be over

MrsPea

« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2022, 16:30 »
It's been raining all afternoon, now sunshine hopefully it'll blow itself inside out soon  :lol:

xx
What's for tea 2022?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

1563 Replies
Last post December 31, 2022, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
Wimbledon 2022

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:24
by snowdrops
xx
Fishing Season 2022

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post October 11, 2022, 17:09
by Aled
xx
ordering seed for 2022

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2021, 15:05
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 52 queries.