Another newbie, hello all

• 13 Replies

Bonbon

Another newbie, hello all
« on: August 23, 2011, 21:06 »
Hi, we have had our allotment for about a month now and it is in a dreadful state! We thought we would do the basics first, add a shed, maybe move our greenhouse there, build a composter, etc. We have already cleared a rhubarb patch and found some strawberry plants which we are still getting strawberries from now they are free of bindweed and  sitting on clean straw. Only drawback is that the guy next door has been using our path and entrance while the plot was unused and he now thinks it is part of his plot so keeps taking our fence down! Any advice?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Another newbie, hello all
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 21:08 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to move this over to Grow Your Own as that's what it's about  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shadsncoops

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 21:53 »
i'd respectfully point out that it's in use now! it's not a public right of way really, i'd think. you could speak to the allotment society/ council or whoever gave you the plot? good luck. it's hard work at times but worth it.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:51 »
Hang a sign on your gate/fence saying " TRESPASSERS WILL BE COMPOSTED "
If this does not work ask him if he has seen the person who keeps taking down your fence.
If this fails just tell him to stay off your plot unless invited.

PrincessJelly

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 14:57 »
Hello Bonbon

I have no advice as I am also a newbie with my own allotment woes, but welcome to the forum and I hope you get your neighbour sorted out soon :)

PJ

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 16:12 »
Check your tenant agreement to see if your site allows fences - my site doesn't - and if your fence is blocking  light from his plot.  Have you managed to ask him outright why he keeps doing that?  If there is no good excuse for his behaviour, then report him to the site manager and steps you've already taken to resolve the issue.  At the end of the day you are paying the rent so what the neighbour thinks is irrelevant.  Maybe the boundaries need to be checked to be doubly sure?

Bonbon

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 18:50 »
Thanks all for your replies. We have taken it up with  the parish council as this is who we rent the plot from. They have confirmed the boundaries of our plot and said the fence can stay and have written to him. However, since that he is now rallying his "pals" and apparently spreading rumours aout the parish council (?).  This amounts to their latest suggestion to us being to move our fence to the other side of our path! How does that make sense and how do we get a wheelbarrow over a wire mesh fence, given that the fence will be the wrong side for us, to our plot?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 19:48 by Bonbon »

stompy

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43 »
I have a similar problem on my plot, my neighbour has been cutting the tops off his blue barrels on my plot leaving the shavings all over.

He also started to store some of his wood, mesh, pollythene (etc) on part om my plot too.
When i asked what he was doing his response was "well your not useing it at the moment are you, so whats the problem"

He was told to remove it, but he never and a week later i moved it to the on site skip.

We had words that day where he was told the repercusions of any further actions would be severe.

As far as i am aware he hasn't been on my plot since.

The only down side to this is we are now not on speaking terms which i don't like.
I am a very ammicable person but this guy over stepped my boundries, im sure we will resolve our differences in time, but until then  :nowink:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:14 »
Isn't it sad when some people over step the mark, don't accept that it isn't their's to do as they please and then go overboard with the sulk when there are repercussions.  If the down side is that he isn't on speaking terms, then given his poor neighbourly manners perhaps it's for the best stompy.

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 16:49 »
Just to add to BabbyAnn's post above.  It's his loss Stompy as he's losing your friendship!  :)

And hello Bonbon!  :D
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

Bonbon

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:05 »
Yes it is a shame, you would like to think that as we all share the same interest, ie allotments, we could get along. It has taken the edge off going to the allotment, I have't actually met this guy yet but I am not looking forward to bumping into him. The fence has remained untouched for 4 days now, so hopefully he has given up, or maybe he is on holiday! Good luck to all those out there with bad allotment neighbours!  :)

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 16:06 »
I had a minor altercation with a lotty neighbour last week.I was burning some old raspberry canes and stuff in my incinerator. Neighbour came across and 'advised' that the wind was blowing toward the nearby houses and therefore, we should not be burning. I saw her point, put the lid on the incinerator and carried on with something else. 5 minutes later, she was cramming her own weeds into my incinerator! I challenged her but all I got back was 'Its too late now, the damage is already done' Told her not to set foot near my plot again

NellyCB

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 00:20 »
Welcome to the site and all the best with your new allotment.

Keep us posted about the fence happenings - hope it all works out your way  ;)

Henerz

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:48 »
 :)Hi,welcome i hope you stick at it,it does get easier after a while and the rewards are good. As for your neighbor have a word with him and tell him not to take down your fence.
Be firm but nice if he thinks your soft he'll walk all over you.
I'm sure it will resolve itself. Any way all the best and good luck. Henerz  ;)
Henerz

xx
Newbie trying to help a newbie

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:03
by Thephoenix572
xx
Newbie - can someone tell me what this is?

Started by h2o on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 09:43
by prakash_mib
xx
Newbie here, Hi and help please

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 21:00
by Heather_S
xx
newbie...

Started by paul veg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 22:41
by paul veg

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 36 queries.