Wormeries - Any good??

• 2 Replies

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Wormeries - Any good??
« on: April 05, 2012, 15:46 »
I don't have a lot of room any more since giving up the allotment and don't really have anywhere to put a compost bin.
I could probably stand a wormery down the side of the house though, just outside the back door.

Has anyone got one, are they any good?

I know I won't be able to feed them all my garden waste and food waste but I am assuming I will at least get a certain amount of decent compost out of one, and some fertiliser liquid as well.

Any hints or tips welcome, and any recommendations of what type to get would also be appreciated.

Chrysalis

Re: Wormeries - Any good??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 21:39 »
Hi Steve.  We have one and I love it, but we're not expert growers or anything.. ;)

It took around six months to get anything from it, but we started in November! The first two weeks were amusing because the worms escaped all over the conservatory/kitchen... :lol:
After that it was easy.  Now (in our second year) we have lots of "tea/wee" for the garden and the compost gets done pretty fast. I mix it in 1:10 with normal soil as it's so rich.  Just be careful that there aren't too many little white thread worms growing in the compost.  They can eat tender seedlings and roots.... so we only use the compost on well established plants.  The best bit for me is the worms themselves, and the fact that there is even less to put in the dustbin!
Give it a go and enjoy your new pets! :tongue2:

Trillium

Re: Wormeries - Any good??
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:53 »
yes, they are fantastic things to have. It's better if you can grind up the offerings and the worms can devour them faster. They'd also need lots of shredded newspaper as bedding, which should help keep smells down.

Only things they don't like are citrus, onions and dairy.

xx
Making wormeries from compost bins

Started by gsc on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 09:56
by gsc
xx
Any good ?

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:02
by Caltrad
xx
is this any good

Started by freyaluck on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 17:04
by Gwiz
xx
a good buy here

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 20:50
by shaun

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.