Can anyone recommend a lawn spreader?

• 4 Replies

hillfooter

Can anyone recommend a lawn spreader?
« on: October 21, 2011, 15:21 »
Mrs HF has gone off to have lunch with her gardening cronies and left me to do the autumn gardening chores.  I had an inkling this might happen as for days now she had been leaving "The New Lawn Expert" book laying about where I might stumble across it.   Still being asked to fertilise the lawn unsupervised marked a remarkable uptick in the trust she placed in me so I don't want to mess it up.

The last time I was entrusted to do this was the only time we had entered our garden in the village open gardens day.   I had been given strict instructions on how to use the spreader but as usual I left things a little late a so in order to save time I thought I could just spread it by hand.  Carefully calculating the required amount for the area I evenly broadcast the fertiliser on the lawn by hand.  We had worked like dervishes to spruce up the garden which I must say looked perfection without a weed in sight.

I was pleased that I had managed to spread the fertilizer so evenly but come the morning of the big day we awoke to find the lawn had broken out in a rash of brown arc shaped lines.  My suggestion that we could still claim this as a triumph by passing it off as a neuvo trend in lawn design met with a fierce look.

Any tips on how to spread evenly will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple of photos of preparations and as I'd rather take some pictures than get stuck into gardening, to make up for my dismal attempts to submit a photo of a Dahlia for Yabba, here is a photo of the last lingering blooms of a dahlia before the frost finally claims them.

She's just got back better go now.

HF
Truth through science.

Goosegirl

Re: Can anyone recommend a lawn spreader?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 15:53 »
In days of yore I bought a lawn spreader which spread the granules in a line as you walked - hmmm. It spread as it felt like and in lines. I haven't used one for a few years now as I went onto a liquid feed, but got seduced by a rotary spreader which works on the same principle but has a rotary arm to spread the granules, which does make more sense. All the same, it depends on two things - the size of the granules (depending on if you buy the same granules as manufactured by the same firm as the spreader) or adjust the spreading rate appropriately according to the instructions if from another source; and the speed at which you walk. I have yet to try it as I left the packets of lawn food in the greenhouse where they got damp - doh!! My OH's dad was a farm labourer and I have seen him spreading till on our little field and any left-overs went on my lawn - no lines - 'tis an ancient art, but the rotary idea isn't a bad one. Will let you know! 8)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 16:40 »
Some of the domestic spreaders can be a bit of a pain to get the right g/M2 spread.
When I need to calibrate a different product to a particular spreader, I have a clean sheet of cardboard 1mtr square that I lay on a paved or tarmacked area (not the lawn to be treated). I then guess the correct setting, sally forth across the cardboard and then sweep up the product on the cardboard and weight it, I then adjust the setting as required.
It can take a couple of go's to get it right, and a slight waste if you don't manage to pick up all the product, but better that than a dead lawn or wrong advice given.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:16 »
Thanks guys the 1 metre square cardboard sounds a very scientific approach.  I think I probably under dosed our lawn which I calculated to be around 100sqm as i only used 60% of what I should have so might do another run in a couple of weeks .  I used an old dark horse rug to judge what it was spreading but didn't think to try to weigh it.  That's a good tip.

Regards
HF

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:22 »
I haven't weed-and-feed-ed my lawn since I put the pond in but when I did I used a spreader like the one in the left of your pic.

Although it was designed specifically for the product I used it with (Levingtons, I think) I'm pretty sure it underdosed the grass, although it did deliver it pretty evenly.

I would do something based on what you and Gwiz have suggested HF - measure the area (or an easy-to-measure part of the area), treat it, and weigh the amount of product you have used; you will then have a fair idea of whether it is dosing correctly (in your case, dosing twice would be just about spot on.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Can anyone recommend a particular lawn aerator?

Started by bashful_badger on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 19:08
by Gwiz
xx
Scotts/Wolf Garten spreader settings conversion

Started by Flatcat on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 16:04
by BIG ZOOK
question
Scythe - does anyone recommend one?

Started by Babycat on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 10:57
by compostqueen
xx
What Shredder Would You Recommend?

Started by John on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2017, 13:29
by John

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.