How do you assess “wear & tear” on an old rotovater?

• 3 Replies

andygregs156

Hi

Started to play with my old Norlett project the other day and managed to get the engine to run (I still lack the parts to mount the tensioner pulley) Now my attention has turned to the blades,
•   Is there a rule of thumb as to when they have to become too frail to safely use?
•   The holes for the mounting pins seem to have worn slightly oval, is this a problem? If so is it possible / acceptable to build up the metal with a mig welder & re-drill the holes?

Thanks  Andy

Gwiz

Re: How do you assess “wear & tear” on an old rotovater?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10 »
I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to weld up and re-drill.
As for when the blades are worn out, I couldn't advise without seeing them "in the flesh" so to speak.
I have a general rule of thumb about safety, "If it feels dodgy, then it probably is."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:12 by Gwiz »

smud6ie

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50 »
hi,i think the blades would become very inefficient long before they became unsafe.The curve at the top wears off first ,the overlap between the  adjacent blades is lost so the ground is cut in vertical slots which means you have to physically heave the machine from side to side to make any progress.  

As for the elongated holes in the axle tube,If they are slightly worn then I would not bother unless you like things "as new" .The holes on my Norlett 6000 which I bought in 1976 have elongated to a distance of twice the diameter of the pin hole and still works ok :)
If I were going to repair one,I would not weld the worn hole and then re drill but redrill the rotor tube at 90 degees to the original hole which will save no end of work!
BTW,which model do you have ,I have just found the instruction/parts manual for mine.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:22 by smud6ie »

andygregs156

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 20:21 »
Thanks for the advice, still not sure where I’m going with this one. I’ve no real need for a rotovater (just a boy who likes his toys) so may yet strip it for spares.

Cheers Andy

PS It’s a Norlett 3000 Single speed 3hp

xx
rotovater/tiller

Started by pwgun on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 12:41
by Gwiz
xx
Einhell rotovater

Started by arthur cooke on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 23:00
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
flymo rotovater

Started by flatcap on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 12:50
by Gwiz
xx
Rotovator, rotavator, rotovater wanted!!

Started by Timbo on Equipment Shed

50 Replies
Last post October 09, 2007, 01:27
by muntjac

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.