Making wormeries from compost bins

• 4 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Making wormeries from compost bins
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:25 »
I have just set up 2 x 200 litre wormeries (bought online).  Was going to see how they went before thinking of buying more but I have no patience  :wacko: :D

So I have bought 2 x 400 litre compost bins as a base for setting up 2 more.  They are 70x70x83 to give a good surface area.

However, I have to decide on a base now.  They are open at the bottom and I'm thinking of, for example, setting them on blocks of some sort, covering with a hard mesh grid and lining with a permable mebrane.

The objective is to keep the worms in but let the mositure drain out, not sure what into :unsure:

I'm not a very 'handy' person and hubby is even worse, so any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Gay

8doubles

Re: Making wormeries from compost bins
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:48 »
I do not understand this wormery buisness (apart from the profits they make  :)) if you put a pile of veg waste just about anywhere worms will move in and stay there all the time if the food keeps coming.
You do not need a des-res for worms or to make it a worm coldidtz , a compost bin on bare earth is fine.

As a lifelong angler i know how difficult it is to keep worms locked up , a 3mm hole will let them out of the baitbox and in to the lunchbox. :tongue2:

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:59 »
Well from what I've read, not needing a des-res seems true, but it seems a shame not to collect any liquid.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:36 »
I`ve planted my rhubarb next to the compost heaps so any nutrients that do escape are not wasted. :)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:56 »
I`ve planted my rhubarb next to the compost heaps so any nutrients that do escape are not wasted. :)

What a great idea - not sure I'm keen on rhubarb so much but there must be something else that would fit the bill.

xx
Do I need a plastic base for my compost bins ?

Started by wbmkk on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 12:32
by surbie100
xx
Rotating/\tumbling compost bins

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2021, 06:38
by GraciesGran
xx
Compost making

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 17:08
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Wormeries - Any good??

Started by Runwell-Steve on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 01:53
by Trillium

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.