Algae in water tanks

• 4 Replies

Graham Turner

Algae in water tanks
« on: April 18, 2010, 16:45 »
Hi there
Hope someone can help with this problem!
I bought on of those 1000ltr. IBC tanks from e,bay, it originaly contained biological anti freeze. It was swilled out well, filled and and then drained and filled again. It has now developed what looks like a pink algae showing on the tank sides. Would this be harmfull to my plants, but more importantly will it be harmefull to my family and myself? Any ideas as to how to get rid of it would be most gratefull.
Graham Turner

Trillium

Re: Algae in water tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 00:28 »
No idea what is classed as biological anti freeze, but almost anything that works as such would not be healthy to use water from, even for plants. Despite all your cleaning, I strongly suspect that there's still a lot of residue caught in tiny crevices. This is not scientific, just a strong hunch. Best advice is to contact some sort of local health agency for further info, or perhaps a gov't agricultural department for advice.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:38 »
I think I read on a can of Jeyes fluid that it cleans water butts

This is not for drinking, but just watering your plants I assume

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:29 »
I don't know what biological anti-freeze is either, unless it is another name for the "safer" version of anti-freeze using propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol.

If you Google "pink algae" you will find plenty of information about it (it is actually a bacterial colony rather than a true algae.) It can thrive in the sort of environment provided by the inside of this sort of container, although is more of a problem in swimming pools because it is unsightly and also slimy.

Providing there was no solid residue in the tank the contents should have been completely removed by your flushing regime. If it were me I'd probably drain and it and refill once more and then stop worrying about it (I suspect not many of us examine the insides of our water butts and would probably be fairly dismayed if we did!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 21:20 »
I agree with the last poster (i know this was a while ago!) I fill my chicken drinker with water and apple cider vinegar and that gets pink algae.  It is clear plastic aswell.

xx
algae

Started by flynn95 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 14:43
by Rich72
xx
Cheap water butts and water butt pumps

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 20:50
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Water Butt Offer from Yorkshire Water

Started by SweetPea on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 15:58
by Basil Fawlty
question
storing water and water butts help

Started by galeey on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 20:24
by noshed

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.