Rotary/Tumbling Composters Claims? Advice

• 7 Replies

covehithe

« on: May 07, 2008, 08:41 »
Anybody got experience of using these composters.
Recently moved house with a much bigger garden and looking at composting. Previously used a "pallet" compost box but now looking at Rotary/Tumbling Composters because of the speed of the process.

Looking at claims by some UK suppliers that you can get good compost in 14 days. The Swedish company Jora quote 6-8 weeks and you have to add carbon (sawdust or wood pellets) for their process but not in UK composters

Any advice - help or comments appreciated

thanks

Peter

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:44 »
I think compost in 14 days is baloney.  

Those rotary things are ok I think if you're strong but not for me as I'm titchy and feeble  :lol:   Compost gets heavy so just bear that in mind  :D

Good compost takes a while, quicker in the heat of summer though, esp with grass mowings added to a black plastic bin but nowhere near 6 - 8 weeks I don't think.  I have loads of bins, and a pallet bin, so usually have some compost ready but there's no quick fix solution. Time and patience I'm afraid, oh and urine of course  :lol:  Mostly yours  :D

weeeed

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:37 »
I have looked at the tumbler ones and have heard good reports on them. However they are very expensive aren't they? Let me know what you decide and how it works out. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 22:24 »
I have never been tempted myself, they do seem expensive, they take up a lot of room and you still need bins to store material that is accumulated whilst the current batch is cooking.

I too am sceptical about a 14 day claim but 6 to 8 weeks is just about believable with daily turning.

All composting processes need carbon  ie brown material, the recommended carbon to nitrogen ratio is 30:1

shorty

Re: Rotary/Tumbling Composters Claims? Advice
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32 »
   :)
Hi, had a rotary composter which weathered well but finally succumbed; cracking due to becoming brittle.  They do work but take longer than said and only if in full sun and turned daily without fail.  They have become very expensive and are not robust or efficient enough to warrant the recent price hikes. 

If we all stop buying for a while maybe the prices will return to reasonable levels.  That or all get together and go direct to the manufacturer and buy bulk at a special discount(?).

Helen   ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:35 »
Hi Helen, welcome to the forums.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but the original poster aked the question over 3 years ago and never returned to view any replies.

I doubt they'll see yours!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

dugless

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 16:21 »

I don't know if you noticed or not, but the original poster aked the question over 3 years ago and never returned to view any replies.

Well spotted :wacko: but if they do look at the post replies I can tell them they are a devil to turn when full you have to be very strong. :lol: :lol:.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

dugless

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 16:24 »

Well spotted. :wacko: but if they do return I can tell them that you have to be very strong to tun them when full. :lol: :lol:

xx
Landmaster Rotary Hoe

Started by vitoman on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 12:31
by grendel
xx
Landmaster Rotary Hoe

Started by Mike Allenby on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 23:49
by Mike Allenby
xx
Landmaster Rotary Hoe MK 2

Started by stoneroses on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 20:18
by stoneroses
xx
Push along rotary lawnmower

Started by Allotment Jon on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 09:12
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.