Greenhouse glass, clips etc.

• 6 Replies

Scribbler

Greenhouse glass, clips etc.
« on: April 11, 2019, 18:33 »
We moved house in November, and had to leave behind my lovely Elite greenhouse.

In the garden near Sheffield, where we have moved to, there is a larger greenhouse but it does not have a brand name anywhere. The problem is that a couple of panes of glass are broken and need replacing. Some other panes have bulged out and left some nasty gaps. Although we put up the Elite greenhouse without too much of a problem, I don't know how to tackle repairs on an unknown greenhouse.

The upright parts of the greenhouse frame have a blind side with rubber inserts that the panes sit in, and the other side is the open side that has the clips that keep the panes in position. Unfortunately the two broken panes are at the bottom of the greenhouse, and I don't know if all the panes above the broken ones will need to be taken out to replace them.

I've looked online for DIY guidance, can't find anything about greenhouse glass replacement, apart from people selling glass.

Hope you can help, or recommend a helpful link!

Many thanks.

Scribbler. 
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Scribbler

Re: Greenhouse glass, clips etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 18:38 »
PS: I can see how the Z-clips work between the panes, but how on earth do you fit them??

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:50 »
Picture 3 doesn't look right at all. If that's how the glass has been held in no wonder it's snapped. Have you checked the frame it true and square, it may have twisted over time. It's not always correct to assume things have been put up properly originally either ;)

Can you get a good picture of the bind side with rubber inset. The glass should fit flat on a gasket the W clip pressure is then spread across the entire surface.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 19:59 »
You'll need to take the top panes out to fit the bottom ones. Video here showing how to build a greenhouse and here for taking apart

edit to make links work
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 21:03 by Yorkie »

Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 23:47 »
Yardman: the more I look the more skewiff the frame looks, almost everywhere. I'll take another pic tomorrow. God it's busy being retired!!

Night all.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:37 »
Hello what size panes are they I have 2foot ×2foot and 18Inch ×2Foot from 2 16× 10 scrapped greenhouses it's 32oz horticultural glass  it looks like an Eden greenhouse jezza

Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 16:11 »
So sorry I've not replied to anyone. Been very busy. Two weddings, two garden parties (one on Sheffield, the other in Devon) a week in Turkey after the first wedding (our daughter's), then Cropredy music festival.

While we've been away, everything's grown, the courgettes have turned into marrows, the round yellow courgettes have turned into melons, and the grapes vine is everywhere. Plus the field of brambles and nettles next door has made significant inroads into our garden space.

I think the greenhouse repair is going to have to wait until the autumn. Thank you all for the responses - feel really bad about not replying, but it's been really full on.

Now out into the garden again to do the lawn..........

xx
Greenhouse Glass 3 or 4mm?

Started by Wavertree Red on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 18:36
by 8doubles
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by adal on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:37
by Livinhope
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman
xx
greenhouse glass help

Started by pvc on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 22:57
by pvc

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.