Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #315 on: August 04, 2011, 03:13 »
are these live traps learner? who checks them - they should be checked a couple of times a day at least? and what will they do with any foxes caught?

I've seen only one and believe they are called "box" traps. (They look like a sizeable wire box/cage with a trip and drop down door). They are left baited late afternoon and checked late evening and early the next morning before being reset if needed.

As for what happens once a fox has been unlucky enough to get trapped? I guess a quick bang and that's their lot.

Sad for the fox but they are causing wide-spread damage as their numbers have zoomed up on our site over the last three years.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2011, 10:18 »
that's ok then - some people (including some councils so I am led to believe) used to catch them and the release them out in the countryside which for an urban fox used to raiding dustbins and allotments was not fair on the fox nor the countryside. Culling quickly and humanely is the only way to deal with this.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29 »
that's ok then - some people (including some councils so I am led to believe) used to catch them and the release them out in the countryside which for an urban fox used to raiding dustbins and allotments was not fair on the fox nor the countryside. Culling quickly and humanely is the only way to deal with this.

It's quick and it's necessary if plot holders are to stand a chance to grow their crops but it's sad to see any life extingusihed. They are creatures in the wrong place.  :(

joyfull

« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2011, 05:46 »
true, I think they are beautiful creatures but do not want any in my backyard getting my chickens  :(

Barnsley-Bill

« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2011, 12:29 »
Jud is a Border Collie, trained by myself and i wouldnt sell him for a lottery win lol.
last year a bloke down at our alloments let his 42 chickens out on his garden to help clear it and asked me if jud could round them up to get them back into there coop, I was god smacked by how quick he did this without putting any fear into his birds.

All the other gardners love him as he keeps the rats down, and helps retrieving any wood pigeon's I shoot.

He is my best freind and I would be lost without him.       

DonnaM

« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2011, 19:56 »
Jud is a Border Collie, trained by myself and i wouldnt sell him for a lottery win lol.
last year a bloke down at our alloments let his 42 chickens out on his garden to help clear it and asked me if jud could round them up to get them back into there coop, I was god smacked by how quick he did this without putting any fear into his birds.

All the other gardners love him as he keeps the rats down, and helps retrieving any wood pigeon's I shoot.

He is my best freind and I would be lost without him.       

He sounds like a great dog and definitely a keeper!
I have a friend with a sheep dog that is an amazing worker with sheep but also kills foxes for fun. Amazing how gentle they are with lambs and puppies, dont chase cats yet can kill a fox as easy as pie whilst being totally safe with children as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2011, 00:31 »
Your dog sounds wonderful Barnsley Bill.... I can well imagine how you feel.

As a teenager I had a german shepherd brought home by my dad from the dogs’ rescue centre. Once she had settled down, put some weight on and lost her nervousness she was, like your dog, quite amazing.
I still miss her now on occasions.

I decided she was irreplaceable so have not had another dog since.

Barnsley-Bill

« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2011, 15:51 »
This is Jud after a dip in the river this morning :).

Denise 1963

« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2011, 23:24 »
Barnsley-Bill what a lovely dog he is.I have 2 border collies  bill & zak and hope they will look after my chickens,only had the chicken for a few weeks and i live with open fields and allotments behind my house,i know that the foxs are out there as i have had one in my garden and you can hear them at night some times, but hopefully we have done enough to keep the fox out fingers crossed.

Barnsley-Bill

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2011, 19:27 »
Hi Denise
I hope Bill and zak look after them like Jud does, and Jud has one blue eye and one brown lol

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 21:41 by joyfull »

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #325 on: August 19, 2011, 00:24 »
came across this site, thought it might be of interest
http://www.smallholder-agriculture.co.uk/articles/electric-fences-for-foxes-64

Andy Pandy

« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2011, 22:48 »
There is a great new product that allows your chickens to shut themselves in at night!
It doesn't need batteries or power - it just works by weight.  When the chickens climb onto the perch it drops down and a pulley attached to the door closes it.  In the morning when the chickens get off the door opens! We have been using it for 6 months and it is brilliant - the chickens decide when they have had enough and want to go to bed.  This is great if you are not up very early in the morning or you are going out in the evening and not around to lock the girls in. :D
  xRm2U72pu90NR=1

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2011, 22:50 »
I lost all my hens last year to a fox, he/she got in the run and couldnt get out, he was there, carcases all around, feathers everywhere, I introduced him/her to dustbin heaven, now the shotgun is ready (not loaded) I cant shoot them in the street, but if they come into the garden unintroduced, they get a black bag and an introduction to dustbin heaven

Many years ago, I lost my rabbits to a fox, ever since then, I have hated them, I have lost some really beautiful birds to these vermin, I'm not going to lose any more :)

im applying for a shotgun licence asap i do have a .22 air riffle i would if i had to shoot with that to save my birds but it would have to be a life or death job because you cant hunt fox with an air riffle. he would have a sore butt doubt he would be back to soon after that lol.
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

joyfull

« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2011, 10:23 »
He/she would also end up with a slow lingering death for doing what comes natural to them. It is up to every chicken owner to take precautions to protect their flock (and yes I have suffered a fox attack in the past when it wiped out my ducks and also a mink attack this year when I lost 10 birds so do know what people are going through), but in doing so they should not inflict a painful death on another animal.

hillfooter

« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2011, 06:37 »
My beautiful baby collie is now 15 years+8 months and was also wild, extremely stubborn with a terrible attitude problem and still has. She has a huge tumour on her shoulder and is ok at the moment but it is heart wrenching even writing this.

She would have seen any fox off and i once even had to drag her away from a badger she found in field (for her own safety). She was fearless and stupid but wild is an understatement. Saying this i dont think she would have actually tried to kill any fox but more enjoyed the chase.

On this same topic have a look for this for poultry enclosure   www.grow-your-own.ie/electric_fence.html     how to build a leccy fence system.
This is a very good article but note it is more aimed at a farming application and most backyard keepers will not be using permanent fixed installations such as is described.  Electric nets are a more likely thing to use but I note one of the very first equipment recommendations is to use a 7.5joule energiser which would be very unsafe (I think illegal) to use on a flexible net installation.  An energiser of this output energy apart from being very expensive is aimed at a long fixed installation of several kilometres of stock fencing not a 50m poultry net.  I believe 4j is the max legal energy for such an installation and that's overkill.  For a single net I'd recommend an energiser of betweem 0.5joules to 1.2joules depending on the length of the vegetation and number of nets required to be powered.  An animal can become entangled in a net and a 7.5j energiser could well prove fatal as well as being a potential danger for small children.

If you are installing a net make sure the advice you follow is geared to the type of installation you are considering.  Properly installed and specified fences are very safe.

NB Nets do not generally require an eath wire as is described in this article, again this is only a requirement for long (Km) fixed fences.

HF
Truth through science.

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 41 queries.