sick hen - not sure what to do

• 11 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
sick hen - not sure what to do
« on: May 28, 2011, 13:02 »
Hello - can anyone offer any advice?
My favourite hen seemed to be having breathing problems - very laboured breathing so we took her to the vets and have been giving her oral antibiotics ( baytril) for 6 days now. 2 days ago she started to go down hill despite her breathing getting much better.  Her comb is floppy and blue, she's doing runny yellow/white poos with a tiny bit of greenish solid in them, and isn't eating or drinking very much.  She starts off the day being quite alert and hungry then goes downhill quickly and is now hunched with her eyes closed.  Considering how little she's eating her crop seems quite squishy.
From what I've read it could be worms, sour crop, maybe  internal problems but surely not all 3?  Does anyone have a clue what I can do?
I don't want to give up on her so any advice would be so gratefully received.

Cat

Gemjt

Re: sick hen - not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 13:07 »
Hello there, I am sorry she sounds so poorly!  I am a newbie, but read the forum most days And based on what you have said maybe it could be sour crop? There is another person writing on the forum with what sounds like a similar problem - may be worth having a read through the last two days posts.

I hope she gets better, keep us up to date.

Wotnoeggs
Karl, Lewis, Jensen & Guy.... all Girl chickens named after t'husbands hero's (and one of mine)....... Rossi and Murdoch....all Girl cats - again, named after t'husbands hero's!  the things you  have to agree to when you want new pets!

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00 »
She 's eating a bit more but her poo is still very watery and white/yellow.  Can anyone let me know if they've dealt with this kind of thing before?  I was wondering if the antibiotics could be causing her upset stomach?

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:30 »
Alice is on Baytril and her poos are firm and plentiful, but she is eating well. The poos you describe could be down to not eating very much. I'm afraid I can't be much help on the other symptoms but hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

Best wishes x
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:45 »
Hello Cat,
I am sorry to hear about your hen and I am not an expert; however there are some things that occur to me.
When did you last worm her and what did you use?
Have you tried emtying her crop?
A blue comb sounds like she could have heart problems.
It sounds like a return visit to the vet may be called for.
I am sure someone more experienced will be along shortly with more advice: in the meantime good luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 14:16 »
Hi,
I am worming her now using Flubinvet which is what I always use.  She is happy to take the odd piece of sweetcorn dipped in it at the moment.
Her crop is now non existent so dont think it can be sour crop.

I'm very worried about her.  The comb is still floppy but not blue at the moment, it seems less blue when we bring her in to the warm.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 17:15 »
Your blue comb description caught my eye -  blue comb is one of the symptoms of Mycoplasma. It 's (mostly) respiratory disease - but it also says birds will become droopy and lethargic, show a reduced appetite and lose weight Rapidly, and if it is Myco you cant breed from that hen as it will pass it down to the chic's and other birds it's best to isolate her from the other flock and if the baytril is not working have the vet do a swab for myco as you really dont want your whole flock to get it as it cost alot to treat your birds and they will all then be a carrier of it.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 17:36 »
yes it could be, but she doesnt have particularly rattly breathing (tho the vet said she could hear a little fluid on the lungs when she listened through the stethascope) or the bubbly eyes/runny nose.  The blue tinge also comes and goes.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 21:49 »
she died, well actually we had to kill her. 
I feel absolutely devestated.  Snuggles was my favourite chicken and we'd had her as an ex bat for almost 2 years - and she was a genuinely sweet natured chicken - everyone who spent time with her commented on it.  I feel very lost without her.

I don't know how chicken owners keep doing this - we've had 3 die in 2 years.  The problem is we now only have 1 left and I don't know whether we're going to get more as I get so heartbroken every time I loose one. 
Can I keep one on her own?  I know they are flock creatures so I know she'd be happier with others but there must be a point in every chicken owners life where they get down to one final chook?

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 22:05 »
Really sorry to hear about your hen  :(. I know everybody always says this but it is true, you did everything you could but I guess it just wasn't to be. She has had a great 2 years with you.

I haven't yet lost a hen but dread the day that it happens and, like you, wonder sometimes if I would get more. I think the answer has to be yes - a) the hen you have left will get lonely, as you say they are flock animals and you can hear them chatting to one another and so on but also b) they are amazing animals to keep, I have had had mine for about 14 months and getting them has been one of the best things I have done.

You will never forget Snuggles but don't give up, go on get another 1 or 2!
Helen

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 18:06 »
I think they end up getting more, but where you can't replace the one you've lost (and they are very individual), you'll fall in love with the new ones while remembering the old.

Once Alice is better we will get another Dorking to make our numbers back up to three, but we still talk about how Dorcus could escape through a brick wall is so inclined.

Best wishes

Christine

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 18:21 »
So sorry to read about Snuggles   :(

I've only been keeping chickens for just over 2 years now, mostly ex bats, and they really don't last as long as we'd like them to. With all the reward of seeing them feather up & learn how to act like chickens it seems wrong that they can't experience life for longer but just remember every day they had with you, knowing the sun, wind, rain on their backs is payback for every miserable day they spent living like machines - by that token alone you owe it to some more captive ladies to give them a taste of the freedom that Snuggles found with you! 

Good luck, whatever you decide   :)

xx
Very sick hen. Help?

Started by didsomeonesayellie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 18:32
by Catsmuvva
xx
Sick hen

Started by CarolJ on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:51
by bygrace
xx
sick hen

Started by peterrjay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 14:48
by Vember
xx
Sick Hen??

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 12:42
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 32 queries.