Another Sick Hen

• 15 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Another Sick Hen
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:58 »
Hey everyone!

I'm taking one of our girls to the vets this morning - to be honest I don't think she'll come back...

But just wondering, as the vets don't know a great deal about hens, if any of you know what may have caused her to get sick.

She stopped eating a few days ago - we've had a few soft eggs lately and so at first I thought she was just struggling to get one out, which has happened before recently.  But as time went on without her eating I decided that it was probably something more than that.  Yesterday her breathing was a little audible - not wheezing as such but you could hear it.  Her comb seemed redder than normal.

I checked and her crop felt empty, or thereabouts.

Poops are fairly normal - some runny but a good mix as has always been the case really.

She's just spent the last couple of days sitting around, not being overly active.  Her tail has been a little low and she won't even eat her favourite treats.

Like I say, I can't see her pulling through but hope that someone can shed some light on what it might be.  If the vets say that some antibiotics should do it then I'll give anything a shot, but sadly they usually suggest the blue juice...

Also - could she be egg bound?  Is this the sort of thing she'd do if she was?  And how could I / the vet go about relieving her of the egg (which will probably be soft)?

Thanks!

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Re: Another Sick Hen
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:27 »
Ok, have been to the vets.  They had no idea what was wrong, and got a manual out which didn't help much.  They offered to do tests but that'd cost a lot, and I haven't much hope that she'll make it.

We came away with some antibiotics and will commence worming again in case it's that.

When syringing the water+antibiotics she seemed to perk up, so maybe she's just having trouble taking fluid down herself.  I'll try syringing water every day and see if she pulls through.  She had some food (albeit a sandwich which was left under clingfilm on the kitchen side where we were giving her the antibiotics), which is good too.

Fingers crossed she'll pull through........

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 13:35 »
no advice - just good luck  :)

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 14:18 »
Same here  :)  everything crossed.  Keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 14:21 »
It could be egg peritonitis.  Antibiotics may perk her up but it's likely to happen again.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 14:50 »
Keeping every thing crossed for you.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 15:11 »
Re your message.  I had a problem with my chickens(lost 6 :() went to the vets with some of the remaining chickens and they gave me a antibiotic -Baytril -and this I gave them over 10 days. It was fun catching the chickens to give them the antibiotic via syringe.  However, since they have been taking this they seem to have picked up and looking alot healthier so hopefully the medicine the vet gave you will do the same for your chicken.
Good Luck

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 17:10 »
Thanks for all of your replies - still no real change but will give the antibiotics a bit of time to kick in.  I only have two hens now and so if we were to lose this one we'd be stuck with a lonesome hen which would be sad.  I'll look at getting more but am worried if we have a sick one at the moment, the others will catch something.

Will keep you posted...

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 18:09 »
I wish you all the luck in the world with your poorly chook.  Its so worrying isnt it? Everything is crossed for her improvement.
Good Luck!

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 16:21 »
Thanks again for all of the kind words!!  Sadly we had her put down this afternoon - she wasn't showing any signs of improving and breathing was becoming a struggle.  I felt it was the best, besides she was coming up 3 and an ex-batt so she's had a good innings.

I'll never know what it was but as I've found with the others I've lost over the past year or so by the time you notice something wrong it's often too late.

My problem now is that I have just one hen left.  Do I get more to keep her company, but risk any lingering illnesses being spread, or do I see how she copes on her own for a while.  Out of all of our girls she seems to have been the most happy on her own, and hasn't been too bothered alone over the past few days as we've had the poorly one inside for quite a few hours....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 16:40 »
It doesn't sound to me as though you have any lingering illness there, just "their time to go".

I think you'd be fine to get some more in.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 16:46 »
what a shame - I agree you should go out and make yourself and your lonely only chicken feel better with some chicken retail therapy  :) get some more girls

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 20:50 »
So sorry to hear that you had to put your girl down.  :( 
I would agree that getting more girls would be a good idea rather than leaving your only on its own.  Good luck!   :)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 12:15 »
We did get a couple more and they've settled in really well.  I didn't really have time to organise some ex-batts so have gone for a black hen of some sort and a Hipswell Coucou.  They're both gorgeous!

We initially had them seprated in the run but as our existing hen didn't seem too bothered, we put them together.  A little fighting at first, but our ex-batt veteran showed them who was boss and they spent their first night together on the perch no probs.

Next day they were dust bathing together.  Happy ending, thanks for all of the advice!

bantam novice

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 13:49 »
That's great.  How about some pics?  :)

xx
hen still sick

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 18:29
by henamoured
xx
Sick Hen Help Please

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 13:56
by blulagoo
xx
Sick hen

Started by new heather on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 15:06
by brick22
xx
Sick hen

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:41
by North Devon Dumpling

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 32 queries.