Sick hen

• 32 Replies

becksi

Sick hen
« on: June 29, 2009, 17:29 »
A quick run through to help work out what could be wrong with her,

We have 13 chickens of differnt breeds that we purchased from 2 different places, we have had them for just over 2 weeks so are not really familiar with behaviour although we have read and discussed alot with people.

They were all doing great, happy and settled together after a couple of rows, then yesterday afternoon i noticed one of the Light Sussex acting a little odd, (she was the most shy one out of them all) when i called them and threw in some mixed corn, a couple of hours before bedtime as usual, they all came running like mad things, but not her she stayed on her own where she was, i watched her for a while and she was concertinaing her neck into her body (beak closed) then moving it forward to the original postion her beak was open, she kept doing it, slowly walking around.
One of the other hens came over a grab hold of the feather on top of her head really pulling hard not letting go, she didnt try running away just ducked down abit until it let go.
I decided to remove her from the rest and put her in her own small run so i could watch her better, she was eating the grass, mixed corn and drinking water ok. So at bedtime when most were already in the coop i put her back in the run and she took herself off to bed.

This morning when i first let them out she was the last one to come out and although seemed quiet was not doing the neck/beak thing, she walked away from the others who were munching and drinking and went up the side of the coop in the run.

I have had things to do today so have not been able to watch her much, but checked her an hour ago once home and she is back doing the same opening and closing her beak but not the neck concertinaing, i have again removed her from the others and she is eating grass, layer pellets and drinking ok.

I have felt her crop this afternoon and it feels round and grainy not bloated. Her poo is normal i checked it no sign of worms.

She is about 19 weeks old, she is not laying and has not yet, her wattle and comb are pink and small compaired to the other Light Sussex that we purchased at the same time, who was ment to be the same age, the other is not laying but i think will be soon as her comb and wattle is red and larger.

I hope someone will be able to help with advice, she'll be off to the vet tomorrow afternoon if she does not get any better.

Thank you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Sick hen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 17:53 »
Were they all wormed before you got them ?  I think it might be a good idea and you should get some flubenvet for it.

The neck/ beak thing could be a piece of scratchy grass stuck in her throat or it could be gape worm - difficult to say.  If you take her to the vets mention possible gape worm and the vet will have a good look down her throat.  Flubenvet treats it but you should give a double course.

becksi

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 18:09 »
I have just had an e mail reply from the man i purchased them from and  they were not wormed, he said he does not believe in outside influence, everything he does is all natural, even hatching, no brooder or light etc just the hen and they are always outside  :(

I have been on line and purchased some flubenvet 1% from Beeston Animal Health, you say double course, so i'm to do it for 14 days for her or for all of them?

Should i keep her away from the others?

Would you say she is the bottom of the pecking order as she is the most shy?

Thank you AS for your fast reply.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 18:14 »
She seems to be bottom of the pecking order but that may change as she gets older.

Treat all your hens as your "natural" supplier may have a high worm burden in his birds and therefore on his land.  Just give the gaping girl a 14 day course but keep an eye on the rest.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 18:19 »
If you have 2 lots of chickens from 2 different breeders, 2 weeks ago,I would say there is a high chance she is suffering from mycoplasma caught from the other chickens who were likely vaccinated but could have been carriers, and your hen I presume was not vaccinated?? The slight opening and shutting of beak plus hunched and ruffled are classic symptoms. The treatment would be a simple course of antibiotics from the vet. Worming all together this time of year is a good idea.  :)

becksi

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 22:19 »
Just wanted to add that i picked up the sick hen before bedtime to have a little cuddle and check her over, it sounded like she was purring like a cat?

Is this another sign of mycoplasma or gape worm?

Thank you.

mountainvicar

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 23:06 »
Respatary noise/rattling can be a sign of mycoplasma infection.

Another thought... If your vet does confirm a mycoplasma infection, then there is a chance that other birds in your flock will be infected.

Also, if I rember correctly, the infected bird remains a caryer of the infection even after symptons have gone. So if you intend to keep the bird then you may need to take steps to vaxinate the rest of the flock.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 23:13 by mountainvicar »

Caralou

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 23:20 »
It could be a sign of a mycoplasma infection, but she could also have just been purring. Couldn't believe it the first time I heard my girls when I gave them a cuddle, but they do purr when happy  :) If you are worried take her to the vet for a check over and if needs be the antibiotics. Hopefully it is just the worms, but if not the sooner you get her treated the better.

becksi

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 13:02 »
A quick update:

Spoke to my husband in the early hours as he works nights and he said it was that chicken that was the last one to get back into the run when we had a freak hail storm on Saturday evening, (i'm in Dartford, Kent) he ran outside to make sure they were all in the covered run and 3 were still out so he caught them and put then inside locking the door.

Told the vet the whole story, he checked her over and said her temp was sky high but he didnt think it was mycoplasma and to hold off worming her until 24hrs as he gave her a jab of synvlox and i am to take her back tomorrow 4pm.
He told me to put her in the bath and wet her down to try help her cool off and to keep her away from the others in the shade.

Do i wet her down? i thought chickens hated water, i dont want to stress her anymore than she must already be.

Thanks

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 13:57 »

I've read of others bathing their chooks so maybe give it a try, hope she improves.

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 14:37 »
the important thing is to make sure she drinks plenty of cool water. You can cool her down by placing her in tepid water for half an hour, she wont mind. I am unsure what your vet thinks it is? They have given her a broad spectrum antibiotic normally used for cats, did he think there was an infection? if so what? :blink:

becksi

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 17:10 »
I  placed her in a shallow bath of tepid water and slowly poured it over her back and under her wings, she didnt seem to mind that much.
I then put her out in the shade in a separate run, with cool drinking water, pellets and spring green, she has been eating and drinking, pooing and preening herself too, she has been out there now for about 3 hours and seems so much better, she is not opening her beak and seems more alert.

I gave her a couple of strawberries and she ate them up as fast as anything.

The vet didnt say he thought she had an infection, he just said he'd give her a jab of synvlox just incase there was any nasties & said to do the bath and keep her in shade away from other chooks.

Maybe she just really does not like the heat as its scorchio here, i hope so anyway.

She is going back tomorrow at 4pm to the vet, i will put her back in the run with the others when its nearing bedtime and cooler in there for her so she can go in the coop for safe sleep and i'll put her in the separate run again in the morning.

Thanks everyone.

becksi

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 20:43 »
Sadly she has gone backwards & is now opening & closing her beak like before & making the funny congested sound  :( she also had a little clear stuff coming out of one nostril  :(

I phoned the vet & told him, i asked if he can give me baytril, he asked if i had the birds for eggs, yes of course i said, he reckons that you can never eat the eggs again if they have it as it goes into thier ovaries.  :wacko:

So i suggested tylan he said he can give me that & there is no withdrawal on eggs but he will have to order it tomorrow morning and i can pick it up Thursday  ??? so its another day until i can treat her,  i do need to treat all the chickens just incase dont i?

Why didnt i just ask for that in the first place  :mad: least i know she & they will be ok after the course of tylan.

Thanks.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 20:53 »
i asked if he can give me baytril, he asked if i had the birds for eggs, yes of course i said, he reckons that you can never eat the eggs again if they have it as it goes into thier ovaries.  :wacko:

I've heard before that some vets say that but my vet (who is an excellent chook vet) says to withold eggs for two weeks after eng of baytril course.

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 22:45 »
Agree with Aunty, I would just add better to get her started on antibiotics ASAP,chooks can go down hill so very quickly, so if they have Baytril go for that, ask for oral (2.5%) and a 1ml syringe
Good luck!!! :)

xx
Help! Sick hen!!

Started by belladonna on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
sick hen - not sure what to do

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 18:21
by Catsmuvva
xx
sick hen

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 08:21
by craig1981
xx
Help... I have a sick hen

Started by betty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 05:05
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.