Glen Ample raspberries

• 10 Replies

Audy70

Glen Ample raspberries
« on: August 20, 2016, 10:44 »
Help! My raspberries canes didn't produce any flowers this year but lots of lovely new canes, should I leave them to flower next year? After they fruited last year I cut back the canes but maybe I did it too early because the produced new canes which produced flowers later in the season. Either they're confused or it's not Glen Ample!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Glen Ample raspberries
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:34 »
Well, Glen Ample are listed as summer fruiting, so leaving the canes which grew this year to flower and fruit next year is the right thing to do.

Some summer fruiters produce earlier than others, some it seems get confused, perhaps by unusual weather patterns.  :unsure:

(It is possible to get a small summer crop as well as a later crop from autumn raspberries if you leave some of the old canes to over winter, although it's not a very reliable technique and perhaps asking a bit too much of the plants too.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 17:12 »
I'm with JayG here, Audy.

You'll be fine next year, but it really is an odd season, because we now have some Glen Moy, which finished weeks ago, and now have some fruit still going, and they're supposed to be even earlier!

We found against all odds, (and a few old grumpy allotmenteers some years ago) that the autumn rasps are the best as they come at a time when other soft fruit like black currants etc are finished, and the apples are a few weeks off yet. The Joan J rasps are just motoring now, and so they should, but their season is much shorter and less prolific this year!

There's always next year!

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 18:22 »
I put a dozen new Glen Ample plants in in April and they have put lots of growth on almost up to four feet now with just a handfull of chicken pellets now and again. Probably had a dozen rasps of them but I didn't expect anything this year. Just a taste of things to come.

Audy70

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 20:47 »
Thanks all, fingers crossed for next year then :D

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 08:32 »
Tie these new canes in so that they do not get damaged over the Winter.

Next year these should flower and fruit. A new set of new canes should be produced which will fruit the year after.

Once the canes have finished fruiting next Summer cut them right out, leaving the new canes to be tied in for the following year.

Audy70

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 10:21 »
Thanks Salmo, will do. I guess I was just confused that I didn't get any fruit this year but I think I might have cut canes that hadn't fruited last year :(

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:57 »
At the risk of hijacking the thread I am looking to move some Glen Ampels from my plot to the garden.  I have read that this should be done when the plants are dormant so will do it in late autumn but I wondered if anyone had advice on how to do it?

I will assume that I would cut out this years fruiting stakes leaving next years (this years new growth). 

Would I then dig out and entire cane and as much of the root as possible and replant in the new position?  Can the root be splt?

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:11 »
Monty on gardeners world showed very clearly how to handle raspberries this week, very timely for you Audy if you are able to access BBC I player. Explained it really well & the difference in colour stems & why to do it now etc
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Audy70

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 16:18 »
Thanks snowdrops, it helped a lot, I did cut back new canes last year :( Lesson learnt, so better luck next year, I've tied in the new canes, so I wait in anticipation :D.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 17:47 »
Rasps have just motored this year! Our Joan J have nearly finished already, and last year they kept on growing so well.

The Glen Ample did their bit, but the crop wasn't that fantastic!

Funny old year for rasps, it'll be different next year!

clip
Glenn Ample

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 11:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Raspberries

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 20:14
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberries

Started by JackieP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 18:01
by agapanthus
question
Raspberries

Started by Jes Gloucester on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2018, 21:38
by Salmo

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 39 queries.