Third time broody this year, will this be last?

• 7 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Third time broody this year, will this be last?
« on: September 12, 2012, 21:53 »
Well that's my 18 month old buff Orpington gone broody for the third time this year and if the last times are the same the other orp won't be far behind. Is broodiness determined by weather, in other words will this be the last time this year ? I appreciate nothing is an exact science just wondering what your experiences are.

trinamc

• Experienced Member
Re: Third time broody this year, will this be last?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:39 »
Hi

My Buffs have been the same this year it is the third time one of them has been broody and the others are now moulting so hardly any eggs at the moment. They were not like this last year so I put i down to the crazy weather  :unsure:

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 19:09 »
The current broody has just blossomed after her moulting and I must admit she looks gorgeous now but the other buff is still moulting and looks like a right scruff so I hope she has enough strength if she goes broody. Thanks for sharing your experience

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 20:27 »
If they are not laying you could always put them on growers pellets for a while to build them up.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 22:48 »
Would that have an effect on my layers as they are pigs in disguise and eat anything infront of them. I guess I could separate them early in the morning when they get up as the orps will eat alot so would it hurt if they had growers in the morning ( orps only) then access to Layers for the rest of the day

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 22:58 »
If they aren't laying that would be fine.  You could make a warm mash with boiled water which they will make short work of.  ;)

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:30 »
My Buff has just gone broody again and is sitting on 6 lovely eggs, she had a disatster in the Springtime and her eggs were eaten by something a week away from hatch so we are so excited! I had no idea they could go broody 3 x a year! woah! I wonder if it'll be too cold in winter so maybe this is the last! She had started moult after her first try at motherhood and now she is gorgeous! so so vert fluffy. They are brilliant big girls arent they? will you incubate eggs? or will you try break her out of it?
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 17:22 »
I won't let her sit on eggs as I don't need more chickens. I lift her first thing in the morning to ensure she eats and drinks and as soon as the girls still laying have laid their eggs I lock them all out of the coop, I know that's not the way to break them out of it especially as she stays broody for at least 3 weeks.

xx
My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me

Started by becksi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 00:00
by becksi
xx
First time Broody ( HELP )

Started by vickyb30 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 22:48
by TeaPots
question
My first time with a broody hen - what should i do?

Started by crem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 22:08
by pheobe1
exclamation
Broody at this time!!

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 16:02
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 38 queries.