hatching eggs

• 9 Replies

sioux57

hatching eggs
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:28 »
Hi, I have had some eggs in the incubator today being 21 days, I have 1 pipping and I can hear it cheaping. They are bantams and was getting worried because some say they can hatch at 18 days, anyone had their eggs hatch early?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:37 »
what breed of bantams, not all hatch on day 19 - and the days of 19 and 21 are only a generalisation only. I have had eggs hatch anytime from days 17 through to 28  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

sioux57

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 13:49 »
They are silver laced wyandottes bantams 1 was infertile I saw some movement in 3 at 17 days but this is the 1st time so I am not sure if they were ok or not, I have been looking at candled eggs on utube to see if mine look similar. I also have 6 under a broody hen that are due this weekend. sue

hatcher

• www.hatching-eggs.info
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 22:24 »
I would leave them for an extra couple of days as Ive had chicks hatch on day 23 quite a few times,this is especially true if theres been a dip in temperature at all.

sioux57

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 00:02 »
All went ok so I thought it took nearly all day for 1 to hatch, the next day another pipped and hatched really quick within an hour. Then 2 more eggs pipped 1 hatched but took all day, the next morning when i came home from work i decided to help the last chick out as she seemed to have dehydrated and was stuck. I used a wet cotton bud and broke off bits of shell. She had egg yolk which had dried and stuck her together like glue but she survived bless. Now I have 3 of those chicks with what I think is splayed legs, the chick that hatched quick is running around feeding and drinking with no problems, gutted for them, don't know what caused this can anyone help because I definately don't want this to happen again I have more eggs for the incubator, what have I done wrong HELP!!!!! Sue.  :(

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13 »
here is hobble my sabelpoot who had splay legs but is now perfectly ok thanks to grannie annie attaching a corrector for a couple of days:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=78156.0

sioux57

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22 »
I saw an article on a website about something similar using plasters to tape their legs together, being a nurse I got some last night at work and this morning have taped their legs together leaving a gap so their legs are not completely together and it seems to have worked on 1 already he seems much better and is trying to get to his feet but the other 2 keep rolling about but seem ok in themselves, early days have to keep a close eye on them. The temp on the incubator was constant have no complaints it is a brinsea eco 20 with a cradle. Will probably give the straws a go later today though, many thanks for your quick response, Sue.
Nothing is ever straight forward lol

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:36 »
The elastic bands I used through the straw and round Hobble's legs, was one of the little ones used for keeping jam pot covers on, and I cut the straw to about half an inch.  Mind you, the poot chicks are VERY small!  :)

Joy bought some 'proper' ones from Ebay, but she said they only looked like the straws with an elastic band through them!

Previously I had used the plasters, but I think the straw looks neater and doesn't stick to their little legs.

Hope your little ones are okay Sue!!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 13:17 »
the ones that don't stick to the legs are better for chicks with feathered legs such as poots (otherwise it may be a bit like using wax hair removing strips  :ohmy: ouch!!).

sioux57

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 16:18 »
I'v wrapped the tape around the straws yes had to be careful removing the plasters but it was fine. All in the lap of the Gods now, first time doing this what a way to learn. Sue
Thanks everyone so glad I joined this forum great so many people are willing to give advice and support.

xx
Hatching out eggs

Started by teresac on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 19:19
by Viv
xx
hatching eggs

Started by samuria on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2022, 20:11
by New shoot
xx
Hatching eggs

Started by chuckie.egg on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 13:29
by woodside farm
thumbup
hatching eggs

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 22:34
by joyfull

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 41 queries.