Fruit and Veg for sale?

• 27 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Re: Fruit and Veg for sale?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 16:44 »
At our alloment site there is a small shop in summer where growers can take excess produce to sell, im not sure where the money goes though

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 17:15 »
Nothing stopping you selling returnable baskets which happen to have fruit and veg in them as a giveaway 8)
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 17:42 »
I agree with Aunt Sally that the practice of 'renting boxes and giving away produce' sounds deceitful and dishonest.

As has been rightly stated by others, the expression "allotment garden" means an allotment not exceeding forty poles in extent which is wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family (legislation).

It is to supply yourself and not line your pockets.  You are depriving someone else of the opportunity to grow their own.  If you want to do it for profit you should go the commercial route instead of abusing the system.

I don't have anything against swapping of course - just those people who think they can use this provision for self-interest.

And of course, those who purport to operate the box scheme, are fully registered as a business - insured, taxed, etc etc, aren't they  ::)  Of course not.  Therefore abusing that system too.....
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 17:52 »
I have 4 friends I give to, which gives me great pleasure   My personal circumstances have changed this year and if I have any surplus (after giving to my friends) I am going to explore selling a little - which will help (not my seed fund) by my rabbit netting fund!.  I know on our plot there are people who have 2 or 3 plots and do sell locally.

I am retired and (not complaining) but on limited income, but all my spare pennies have gone on buying various materials to combat the scourge of rabbits, pheasants, deer,moles etc.
My plot does not even have water, although I know the committee have wads of money in the bank - and as a charity - should be spending it.  But I am in a rural  community and people on the committee tend to be neanderthal (and that is being kind)

mashauk

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 17:53 »
We're not allowed (even though we know it goes on) but I've set up a Yahoo group specifically for our site, and we now swap seeds and plants. Anything surplus we tend to just give to each other, unless they have gluts of the same things of course!

savbo

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 18:43 »
some very intensive co-operative veg raising goes on around here, must be a lot of generosity shown in getting rid of the produce for free... :)

mashauk

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 19:02 »
I get given more than I give.  One lady doesn't like veg but grows tons of the stuff, because she enjoys the growing aspect, she gives stuff out to old peoples homes, other plotholders etc.  I've never thought of it as a money earning exercise (money saving, yes).  It's pretty obvious some people on our site are growing to supply shops and restaurants from what they grow, but nothing has ever been proven or done about it.  I love giving stuff away, last year someone insisted on giving me money (at work) for a veg box I gave her, but that was a one-off and I used the money for seeds, I certainly would never offer to sell anything.  We manage to use most of ours up anyway, only stuff like courgettes that I couldn't face eating any more of and had run out of things to do with them!

Christine

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 19:50 »
I've donated veg to the pigeon keepers who donate me pigeon droppings for the compost heap. I've been given grass cuttings in return for marrows and runner beans.  I've been given a dozen cabbage plants in return for marrows and runner beans.

Seems about right to me. We all have gluts.

But I've gained a second family member who is fairly local so there will be little enough spare this year if anything grows.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 22:30 »
We can sell genuine surplus stuff if we want, but most of us just give it away. The fun's in the growing and the giving  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 10:25 »
well tbh I will support the honesty box type thing,, i cannot see anything wrong with it, you are not charging, its upto the buyer to give as much/little or even nothing..I see plenty of folk around here doing the same with eggs, plants even game,, as long as it supports their hobby,, Though I do not like the idea of people using allotments to furnish restaurants ect on a large scale but maybe this is where the allotment associations should come into play?? by selling all the plot holders surplus on maybe once a month local market stall or similar with all proceeds going towards a sensible cause? maybe better security fencing around the allotments, or vermin pest control, or even a local good cause/charity ect..

wysiwyg

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 11:30 »
I can understand the reasoning behind the allotments, yes they are ment to be for supporting people,  I am currently on a waiting list which is at least 3 years but problably nearer to 8 years!!  So  Why when you look at sites and they are full of Flowers - although pretty, not used for eating is something not done?? Can see nothing wrong with swapping for other items or as one of the other posters said, put them outside your door with donations appreciated.  So long as you arent growing for profit then I think your conscience should be clear. 

I love the bartering system, you would be supprised what some people will swap for 1/2 dozen eggs etc.

Make sure that you comply with other council regs though!!! Think the box has to be on wheels so that it isnt classed as a perminant display ;)

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 13:14 »
We have an open day each year and produce is donated for sale. profit goes to charity.It is a private site though. 

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 13:51 »
The allotment regulations state that the produce is mainly for the consumption of the plotholder and his family but in my contract there are exemptions in the case of crops which "all come at once" such as apples, pears, plums (presumably including greengages) etc.

This means that there is no problem with selling surplus produce within my contract.

There is a fairly standard allotment contract used by many local authorities which comes from the various Allotment Acts (which are amended fairly frequently such that you would have to be a real expert to be up to date with all variations.)

Different local authorities ban different things - some ban fruit trees, some ban greenhouses, some ban sheds unless they conform to a prescribed pattern, some require everyone to have a shed etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 13:52 by CHRISDONOHUE »

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 33 queries.