Broadbeans

• 6 Replies

BOYDO

Broadbeans
« on: April 29, 2009, 21:56 »
I am new to growing veg. I have planted some Aquadulce Claudia which have germinated and are growing well but the lower leaves have now started to first turn yellow and then black. Has anyone any idea what the problem is and how it can be cured?

BOYDO

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Re: Broadbeans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 23:57 »
in pots or direct in the ground?
Death OR Cake ???

Gardeningguru

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51 »
I am new to growing veg. I have planted some Aquadulce Claudia which have germinated and are growing well but the lower leaves have now started to first turn yellow and then black. Has anyone any idea what the problem is and how it can be cured?

BOYDO

We need more details,  what did you do (if anything) to prepare the soil before planting?
Where they Sown indoors or outdoors?  Have you just transplated them outdoors from pots?

Did they dry out or get water logged recently?

BOYDO

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 21:54 »
I planted the broad beans on 31 January 2009 in cardboard tubes in the greenhouse.  they germinated and last month when they were about 4 inches high I planted them outside in a raised bed I had prepared.  They are now approximately 8 inches high.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 00:38 »
How wet is the soil? Might be a fungal or virus problem.

I don't think I have come across blackening lower leaves but if it were me I think I might remove them (lower leaves) and leave the plants to grow on.... hoping for the best. I'd also check the roots of one to see what was happening...

I believe the type of bb you have grown is usually planted out earlier (in the autumn) and left to crop early but I doubt if Jan planting out should make that much difference. The weather and soil moisture levels might.

A neighbour on my site had BB growing in late autumn... my spring sown ones have caught up and are in flower... not that this information is much help - sorry.  :wub:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 09:37 »
Can I tag another query on here (my 1st year doing BBs) - one of my plants (about 7 inches high, in a big pot, outdoors) seems to be sprouting new growth from just under the soil surface.  Is this normal / to be expected or does it signify a problem?  :blink:

Thanks!

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 15:35 »
Can I tag another query on here (my 1st year doing BBs) - one of my plants (about 7 inches high, in a big pot, outdoors) seems to be sprouting new growth from just under the soil surface.  Is this normal / to be expected or does it signify a problem?  :blink:

Thanks!

I shouldn' think it is a problem.... doesn't usually happen to mine as far as I know (I'll take a closer look on the plot today!) but I wouldn't worry about it. If the plant is growing that's what you want.... sounds like a side shoot... ignore it I would. If everything else looks green that's great..  :)

Side shoot = more beans maybe  ;)

xx
Broadbeans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 11:44
by plopleuk
xx
Broadbeans

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 14:54
by barley
xx
broadbeans

Started by kiowa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 10:23
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Broadbeans

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 12:51
by Jeebus

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.