Planning the plot

• 2 Replies

Little Dibber

Planning the plot
« on: July 01, 2008, 23:40 »
Hi there,

I am in the process of clearing a border of weeds, nettles docs and willowherb so I am assuming acidic soil and know that it is Heavy Clay.

The border runs East West with the prevailing wind blowing from the West to the East.

I am wondering what, if any, is the best end to Plant my Globe artichoke and Comfrey (Bocking 14) and if it makes a difference for casting a shadow, as both ends would cast a shadow at either end of the day.

I am thinking to have compost bins at top end, furthest west and furthest away from the neighbours noses, attract flies and complaints and have comfrey at the very bottom of the plot were it wont be disturbed/in the way and then the globe artichokes just a little up from them.

Would that be fine or any mistakes to avoid, years of experience to add?

Thanks
"Know that this is your God, who could not consent to send anyone else to save you, but would come himself that he might gain for himself all your love."
St Alphonsus Ligouri

compostqueen

Planning the plot
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18 »
I would grow the comfrey along side the compo bins. Comfrey is a natural compost activator and it's handy to grow it by the bins as then it's a simple job to pull off leaves and add to the bins. The Bockings are well behaved comfreys so will not take over.  They don't mind a bit of shade or poor soil. Mine are grown right under a great privet hedge and grow just fine  :D

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Planning the plot
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:42 »
At the windy end try a tall plant that can be used as a wind break which has to be a benefit :tongue2:  ... I'm told that Jerusalem 'chokes grow brilliantly tall !! Then as they throw shadow use the space for lettuces and salads that quite like dappled shade  :D

Agree with CQ about the comfry ... by the bins ... they have deep searching roots that also grab the goodies (that soak deep down from the bins) that other plants can not reach so they are a double benefit!  :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

xx
Planning out the plot

Started by rjdiscombe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2006, 18:40
by John
xx
planning the plot

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 00:03
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Plot planning

Started by Bob after on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:00
by ThatsNice
xx
Planning a plot

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 21:46
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.