talking seed potatoes

• 18 Replies

rowlandwells

talking seed potatoes
« on: October 07, 2021, 16:34 »
I know its a bit early to talk about seed potatoes for next year but for those of you that grow a main potato crop what variety did you grow and where you satisfied with the crop you lifted and did the variety you grew come up to your expectations

so when it comes to looking through that seed catalogue or going to the

rowlandwells

Re: talking seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 16:56 »
 I seem to have done something that cut my topic of in its prime so Il continue where I left of seed potatoes do you grow the same varieties  each year or do you tend to change the varieties each season

we tend to keep to red potatoes because they seem to grow quite good on our ground but we never had the crop this year that we usually have maybe it was the weather maybe the ground where we planted wasn't as good as the one we planted the  previous year

we grew several varieties this year but  I'm going back to Cara or Kestrel next for years late  and Arran Pilot for early

so it would be interesting to get your comments on your potato crops this year and you favourite varieties

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 17:39 »
We don't eat a huge amount of pirate so I free some international kidney and some csra, reasonable crop from both.

Granddaughter planted a leftover potato she found in the fridge and promptly lost interest as it did not grow overnight.   It provided enough to feed the five of them for 3 meals, obviously flourished on neglect!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 18:18 »
I’ve gone for a mixed offer this year of 6 types.  It is probably too many, but they are only small bags.  I think it will give me a few old faves and some new ones to try.  If 1 fails, the rest should compensate.  Our variable weather this year made me think this might be a better strategy going forward than planting lots of the same type.

Earlies are Lady Christl and Premiere, the rest are Jazzy, Desiree, Belle de Fontenay and Sarpo Mira.

I grew Premiere this year for the first time and they were great.  I have also grown Jazzy before and Sarpo Mira and been pleased with them. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 18:35 »
I've just ordered some Sarpo mira again, while I was ordering some onion sets.... I've not made up my mind about earlier ones yet, as the Nadine I grew this year were lovely, but not a good yield, don't know if that was just the weather, or not  :unsure:

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 22:23 »
Grew Charlotte for 2nd year and for the first time grew main King Edward. Happy with results and if store ok expect to still be using them well into 2022 but don't eat loads. Largest spuds came from a foundling in the compost bin. Haven't tried them yet and no idea what variety but look ok, may try as baked spud.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:32 »
Charlotte here as well. Our first year of growing them in a "raised" bed. It's actually just an enclosure really about 8ft x 3ft x 1ft high. Very pleased with the result, we're getting a lot of really good tasting spuds.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 13:12 »
1kg each of Charlottes and Ambo for me as usual. Happy with both. Most Charlottes are used as new potatoes but I store those we don't get through.

Will be sticking with them next year albeit through weed proof membrane if I get round to "cutting" holes in it.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 17:39 »
This year I grew Maris Bard, Kestrel, Sarpo Blue Danube and Ratte.

The Ratte are a maincrop salad potato and the first time I have grown them.  They did very well indeed and taste very good.  I will find out how long they keep soon enough.  Anyway I am growing them again next year, along with Rooster, which are new to me.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 14:56 »
If you like roast potatoes grow Setanta they are delicious and crop well :D

If you want something a bit more versatile grow Jazzy. Not only can you use them as earlies but you can just leave them to grow on as mains. They are delicious boiled but also work well baked and roasted although Setanta beats them in the roasting tray. They produce a huge crop and although they may get a little blight on their leaves it doesnt infect the tubers.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 17:49 »
my wife grew charlotte in tubs had good results and we grew pink fire apple but they didn't turn out as well as last year but i have to say reading your replies its really interesting to note the different varieties that have been grown with good results and that you will be growing the same varieties next season very good replies thanks all

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 20:08 »
If you want something a bit more versatile grow Jazzy. Not only can you use them as earlies but you can just leave them to grow on as mains. They are delicious boiled but also work well baked and roasted although Setanta beats them in the roasting tray. They produce a huge crop and although they may get a little blight on their leaves it doesnt infect the tubers.

Jazzy are very heavy cropping.  They are good when eaten early and make a decent sized main if you leave them that stores well.   Very versatile as Grubbypaws says  :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 20:27 »
Have only just cleared my plot of potatoes for this year and still have Charlottes in bags to harvest.

Last year  , or should it be this year  :lol: , I planted Desiree - 4 bags , Charlottes 3 bags and 1 bag Red Duke of York all  bought from our usual Garden Centre at £3.99 per bag the week before Christmas . I usually get them after the festive season but the reports of possible shortages I thought it better to act early.

The Charlottes have done reasonably well probably resulting from a regular watering and home made compost!
The Desiree have been variable with some plants yielding better than others , the well documented fluctuations in our weather  having an impact.

I plan to sow the same next year maybe omitting Red Duke of York.   
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

AndyRVTR

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 09:04 »
I knew I should have looked before my last post... all the help I needed was right here..  :D
I grew Jazzy last (this) year in flower buckets and I had a really good crop from them so I think I'll stay with them again, for my maincrop, I think I'll opt for Kestrel or King Edward as had good results in the past.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 20:02 by AndyRVTR »

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09 »
good thinking Andy Kestrel and King Edward  good choice why not try some Cara basically the same as Kestrel good luck with next years crop ;)

xx
talking about potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 16:40
by Mr Dog
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Talking Manure Here

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 10:31
by johnnyboy
xx
talking about apples...

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 20:53
by mkhenry

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 52 queries.