Calvados - a 'must' in the apple season...

• 29 Replies

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Calvados - a 'must' in the apple season...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 10:13 »
Gervins yeast GV6 is specified as being able to attain 21% alcohol, if there is sufficent nutrient. Getting to 21% is a bit of a black art however. Also not sure sure how fermenting a wine to that strength will actually affect to final taste, I would guess that much of the apple flavour gets destroyed, will agree that the result may need a couple of years to become drinkable.

A good starter of GV6, tub of nutrient, some tannin (teabag?) and you shouldn't need a kit. Not sure how violent GV6 is during fermentation.

Possibly would have been better to have put 2/3 of the sugar in then added to remainder slowly afterwards. If there is too much sugar or the fermentation stops you will have a sweet wine, which you may not want. It simply guards a little against this.

Was the apple juice from a supermarket?  Wondering if it has preservatives in it that could hinder the yeast.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15 »
Gervins yeast GV6 is specified as being able to attain 21% alcohol, if there is sufficent nutrient. Getting to 21% is a bit of a black art however. Also not sure sure how fermenting a wine to that strength will actually affect to final taste, I would guess that much of the apple flavour gets destroyed, will agree that the result may need a couple of years to become drinkable.

A good starter of GV6, tub of nutrient, some tannin (teabag?) and you shouldn't need a kit. Not sure how violent GV6 is during fermentation.

Possibly would have been better to have put 2/3 of the sugar in then added to remainder slowly afterwards. If there is too much sugar or the fermentation stops you will have a sweet wine, which you may not want. It simply guards a little against this.

Interesting points you make, Annie, thank you.

Because I've discovered that the sugar has reverted to a syrup, low down in the fermenter, and it is fermenting well - as quick as I've ever heard one go actually, I agree that there may be the tendency to choke the yeast later on.

However, yeast appears (can't be justified), to have the strength to do the job, and the nutrient was a huge pack, (didn't weigh it unfortunately) so I'll wait and see!

Not worried at the moment; I've made so many variations of wines over the years, and saved them one way or another, this is a great challenge, and who knows, it could be better than we thought!

Glasses are always half-full here!

;0)

Was the apple juice from a supermarket?  Wondering if it has preservatives in it that could hinder the yeast.

Yes, and like nearly all apple juices from Twongos, it had no preservative! We always check to see if there's any sulphite or worse, lurking in the list!

Edit to fix quoted text.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:37 by arugula »

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 13:19 »
Oops, GV4 is the 21% yeast, GV6 is 18%.
Just checked the varities I have in the fridge.

Must learn to read, the GV4 says: GV4(26), I keep reading the 6 at the end and mixing them up.

Found some odd occurances/effects with GV6. For maintaining the apple flavour and aroma consider the late addition of fruit although it complicates things. Half tried it by fermenting normally with 50% of the fruit, added the remaining 50% towards the end. Being around the 18% mark I have to wait for the result. Been waiting 2+ years for it to mature. :ohmy:

GV6 in the must will sit quietly looking as if not much is happening, if you stir it then you get as much foam as liquid. Made 1 gallon in a 2 gallon bucket, the foam almost came over the top of the bucket when stirred. Any agitation should be approached carefully.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 13:23 by AnnieB »

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 20:25 »
These high alcohol wines are one of the most difficult to make If you dont use enough fruit it will taste "hot" and thin often very acid If you try and ferment them out fast you will loose all the nice bouquet , most commercilal wines are now cold fermented for this reason . The best trick you can play is to make a "normal wine " then add some glycerine and a few drops of ginger  and many people will think they are drinking high alcohol wines  ::)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 21:31 »
Thanks Ilan, that's an interesting point you make again!

I was surprised to see the 'syrup' (see previous), but that seems to have dissipated, and we now have a regular bubble going, which is encouraging.

I reckon that apple juice in the mix - as I mentioned, at 18 litres, should bring some sort of flavour to the result, but of course, I'll have to wait and see!

The cold fermenting procedure you mention is used here, and after day four, we moved it to warmer climes (today actually)!

Still going strong!

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 21:32 »
Oops, GV4 is the 21% yeast, GV6 is 18%.
Just checked the varities I have in the fridge.

Must learn to read, the GV4 says: GV4(26), I keep reading the 6 at the end and mixing them up.

Found some odd occurances/effects with GV6. For maintaining the apple flavour and aroma consider the late addition of fruit although it complicates things. Half tried it by fermenting normally with 50% of the fruit, added the remaining 50% towards the end. Being around the 18% mark I have to wait for the result. Been waiting 2+ years for it to mature. :ohmy:

GV6 in the must will sit quietly looking as if not much is happening, if you stir it then you get as much foam as liquid. Made 1 gallon in a 2 gallon bucket, the foam almost came over the top of the bucket when stirred. Any agitation should be approached carefully.

Is this still going on Annie?

I'm interested to know what's occurring here!

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 21:27 »
Whilst I have no conection. a visit to burrow hill cider Just google it  they do a 20% pomona which tastes great  and should be do able ::) note the use and importance of oak in these brews Incidently burrow hill make some of the better and cheaper craft ciders around and is worth a visit tho the stills are behind plate glass  :( but they will give tasters )

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 05:19 »
Like that idea, Ilan!

When on holiday several years ago, we went round Hancock's Cider Farm down your way, and just loved the higgledy-piggledy way they operated...

Always rated their cider, but it used to change every year - maybe still does!

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 06:45 »
Result - so far!

Stopped it at 0.994, and definitely there with the apple flavour, and of course, the strength.

I'm not sure about using the charcoal yet, as I want to see if the apple strength is retained with as little addition of anything as possible. I know the charcoal is inert, but if it's not needed with ordinary finings doing the job, then I'll leave it out.

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 20:26 »
Update - having chucked in the charcoal as I felt that they wouldn't have put it in the kit if it didn't contributr to the process, and presumed it was there alleviate the nutrient/yeast tone, it all began to settle quite quickly.

I added the finings a few days ago, and today, there is a very clear top half to the container, which is slightly grey/yellow (charcoal?), so I'm waiting a few more days to see how it works out.

Reading on their website, it seems that the charcoal does quite a lot more in refining the brew, so we'll see won't we!

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 18:11 »
Tried some today, and pretty good, although very young of course.

The full five gallons have settled to about 95% clarity, and racking was easy to get the first bottle out for tasting, and enlightenment!

Definitely worth persevering with after-care, and hopefully, this will be an experiment with some clout, as it cost about £38.00 to make about 32 bottles, so perhaps it's a good way to overcome frugality, and have a few tinctures into the bargain!

It's taken a month from today to get here, which seems to back up the kit's blurb.

bainsk8

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 20:35 »
Hi Growster

Calvados my favourite!

You mentioned the best bottle you had was from Normandy. I know Calvados is a department in the Lower Normandy region so this is a long shot but was it Calvados Morin by any chance? http://www.kysela.com/normandie/morin.htm

I once bought a bottle of this from France and it seems to fit your description quite well.

We, (my wife and myself) are now T total but still enjoy cooking with alcohol. I always have a bottle of Calvados in the pantry for when we cook Poulet Vallée d'Auge, (Chicken in a Calvados Cream Sauce). Recipe here for anyone who would like to try it. Be careful when you flambé, burning off the alcohol as the flames in the pan can go quite high!

Growster it sounds fun what you are doing and I look forward to you posting the end results, good luck!
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20 »
It was this one, BainsK8!

http://www.coeur-de-lion.com/visite_domaine.php?lang=gb

I think it cost about £35.00, but cannot really remember, other than that it was pretty good stuff!

And some brand (cannot recall which one) from here: -

http://www.calvados-boulard.com/mag/en/page-129700.htm

...was exceptional as well!

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 16:54 »
The charcoal is in the pack to remove any off flavours when you are making Vodka, so it will have reduced the apple flavour a bit. That might not be a bad thing as not all of the flavour passes over in the still when you make Calvados.

Another really good option is to buy a Turbo yeast from the same shop! which ferments out in 2 days!!! at 21% Alcohol.
Then they also sell little bottles of essence which you add to your "Vodka" (or real Vodka if you like.) to emulate different spirits. Some are better than others but it's great fun finding out which ones you like!  :D

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 06:15 »
The charcoal is in the pack to remove any off flavours when you are making Vodka, so it will have reduced the apple flavour a bit. That might not be a bad thing as not all of the flavour passes over in the still when you make Calvados.

Another really good option is to buy a Turbo yeast from the same shop! which ferments out in 2 days!!! at 21% Alcohol.
Then they also sell little bottles of essence which you add to your "Vodka" (or real Vodka if you like.) to emulate different spirits. Some are better than others but it's great fun finding out which ones you like!  :D

You obviously know the place Lawrence! She's great fun isn't she!

I bought some of that Turbo yeast last week (Blue pack), and it really does fire off in all directions - still going fast actually!

I'm possibly going to try and imcrease the sugar as well, depending on the way it gets below - say - 0.990!

I've got a Calvados bottle from the list you mention, and may use it as a back-up, but at £1.75 a pop, I'd need quite a few for the real thing, so may pass on that!

What's the gin like?

xx
New season begins

Started by grinling on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2019, 19:14
by grinling
xx
New Season New Wine

Started by grinling on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2016, 21:29
by grinling
xx
apple squashing

Started by aqua on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:53
by aqua
xx
Apple Crushers

Started by Digger the Dog on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2017, 04:46
by Digger the Dog

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.