Mature tomato plants facing short-term cold snap (7 C dip at night)

• 1 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
October can be a weird month for us, temperature-wise.

In 2019, we reached a record October high of 38oC.  This year, we are getting a single-night dip down to 7oC, a week from now.  Until early November, night temperatures will be mostly 50oC or higher, with days mostly 20 to 25+ oC, but as November approaches, we are expecting more nights to dip briefly to 7oC or so.

The oldest plants are varieties Stupice and Gargamel, and have many tomatoes that are near ripe. and others that are young but developing.  The plants are large enough that covering them completely may not be practical (I will still try).  Would it be reasonable to expect that Stupice might stop setting fruit, but that tomatoes that have developed will continue to ripen as long as they don't get much colder than 7oC?  Gargamel - it's anybody's guess how cold tolerant they are.

I have younger cherry toms in large pots that are setting fruit.  Through the first cold snap. I plan to cover them.  For later cold snaps, I plan to move the pots up against the house and shelter them with plastic (but they will be shaded). The best producing one or two plants will get moved to the garage, where they can get moved in and out; marauding  deer may still eat the plants.

I am hoping for some tomatoes into November at least.  Any thoughts on the above strategy?

BTW, my yellow grape tomato that had it's first ripe tomato on May 6 is still producing, though at this point it is looking a bit rough. Amazing production, and you can bet I have saved seed from it!  If any plant is going to keep producing into November, it would be this one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:48 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
The covering/uncovering toms planted in the greenhouse, and moving smaller potted plants into the house  and then out again, is what we usually have to do in Spring, just to keep tomato plants alive, so it should work.

Good luck!

xx
short term planting advice

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 10:32
by oldcow
xx
How cold does it need to be to kill tomato plants

Started by patoncastle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 22:28
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Cold snap at the weekend cover up !

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

74 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 12:33
by DD.
xx
Too cold to direct sow snap peas?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2024, 22:45
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 39 queries.