Hand push lawn mower?

• 11 Replies

DonnaM

Hand push lawn mower?
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:19 »
Im thinking of getting a hand push lawn mower but are they any good?
Ive seen a few on ebay and have looked on the net at new ones. They seem to be a fair price - if they work that is.
Has anybody had one? A new one or second hand. I like the idea of second hand even more but do they go blunt quickly? Might it be a waste of time or are they a good idea?
Our lawn is in improving condition and hubby keeps on strimming it with a big petrol strimmer, the result being that the chopped grass is all over my borders and beds. Im not after an immaculate lawn but when he has finished it looks like a bomb site!
The area is about 20m x 20m but quite irregular shaped and some is a bit sloping but not too bad.
Im thinking it will be quiet, exercise for the mouse pusher husband and cheap to keep  :)
Opinions please?

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: Hand push lawn mower?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:28 »
I have a Qualcast one, which seems to be one of the cheapest.

I bought it to use on the paths at the allotment.

My findings are

If your grass is short and level and dry then it will work, If it is not short level and dry then it won't work very well.

I ended up buying a cheap petrol mower from Homebase, It was made of metal and had a Briggs and Stratton engine so it seemed OK to me.  It's the best lawnmower I have ever owned, far better than the numerous Flymos I have had in the past.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 13:43 »
Amazon do  Qualcast Panther 30 for less than forty quid.

We bought one years ago, and it is in regular use - even now when I trim up all the grass at the plot as well!

For that money, I'd suspect it's not really worth getting a second hand one, because you may have to sharpen it, etc.

I agree that if the budget is tight though, (same here all the time), you might find a bargain in the local selling mags.

But is there someone on your allotments who maybe has an old one hidden away they don't use? A bit of TLC, and there you go!

Flatcat

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 16:34 »
We've never had much luck with these side wheel push mowers, like the Panther 30 and Powerbase etc.

If you are going to get a push mower, then I would recommend getting an old roller driven push mower, like the Ransomes Ajax, or the classic Qualcast panther. These weigh an absolute tonne, and don't go whizzing off and flying over the lawn not cutting anything like these plasticey modern side wheel ones.

They are also a nightmare as long grass and string etc get caught around the wheels or on the cylinder shaft.

I've picked up these old ones for abvout a fiver before, and they would probably need sharpening, but once they are done they are a dream to use.

Damon

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 17:48 »
As above, i gave two old push mowers away !
IMO a bad motor mower is still a better option than the best push mower. If it rains for a fortnight and you cannot do the weekly trim push mowers will not handle long damp grass.

sazhig

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 18:47 »
I got a push mower over 10 years ago so I could trim the grass when DH was too busy too (I can't start the petrol mower  :blush:). It's still going strong and has now been claimed by my 6 year old who begs me to let him mow the lawn  :D. I have to go round and to the edges and sweep the path after him but he does a very good job considering he basically just runs up and down the garden like a lunatic with it  ::)

Like others have said though they only really work well if your lawn is flattish. Any small dip or lump and they either get stuck or miss the grass. But we've found ours still does a decent enough cut, even after the lawn's been left for a week or 2 in peak season.
Saz

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 20:06 »
Mrs Growster bought a Webb Wasp at Rye Auction Gallery's auction for eight pounds in 1974, and we used it regularly up until we relaid a big lawn here at 'The Turrets'..

It stayed in the shed from 1997, and eventually succumbed to rust and eventually the tip, but not after a lot of heart-searching, hand-wringing and re-painting etc.

The handles (see 'Growster - wheel hoe'), live on!

Floreat Growster's bits and pieces...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:10 by Growster... »

DonnaM

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 22:39 »
Well I bought one today! A Qualcast Panther 30 priced at £46.99 but reduced to £37.57 as Focus are having a closing down sale. Brought it straight home and got stuck straight in. The lawn is now smarter than it has ever looked! The grass box is not that great but I think the more I use it the better I and the lawn will get. It certainly found all the stones for me to remove! Our lawn is more slopey than I thought and I was pooped afterwards but hey I need the exercise  :) I dont think it would be any good for someone who is not active though.
Im hoping that now that is is down to a consistent level I can keep on top of it and it will get easier with every cut. But so far I am very impressed with it!
It has certainly made a prettier jb of it than the big petrol strimmer but i dont think hubby will be using it anytime soon, he thinks it is a girls toy!

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 00:52 »
A bit late to be adding my tuppence worth but.....

I wanted a push mower that I could take to the plot and use at home. It had to be light to fit in a bicycle trailer. Had considered a small, cheap petrol job but... this is what I bought: Brill!

Seems expenxive but is slices through even longish grass quite easily and is quicker than getting the petrol mower out at home so I use it regularly.

On the plot it's quicker than a petrol strimmer.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 05:15 »
That's good news Donna! Good price too!

Agree about the box, it is a bit flimsy, but because it is all so light, the job is so much easier.

You will definitely notice the difference the next time you use it too - exccept for the stones of course...

Job done!

DonnaM

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 17:27 »
The stones have been removed! We are going to fill the holes with soil and gradually I think the lawn will improve but it now looks pretty smart already.
An added bonus is that my seven year old son has been able to do his bit too  :)

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 23:33 »
Husqvarna!
http://www.husqvarna.com/se/homeowner/products/lawn-mowers/54/
http://www.husqvarna.com/se/homeowner/products/lawn-mowers/husqvarna-lawn-mowers-for-homeowners/
(the British deal only offers the 64 model)
Love them :)
Cuts the grass very well - looks really neat.

The "new" once are easy to push -  I have both new and old; cuts just as well but offers a bit different "work-out pass level".

The cheap once on the market are so of a reason... buy one and you'll soon find-out why they are cheap...

If you opt to buy a second-hand; ask/demand to test-run it before buying it. Check that the real is cutting well, that it is easy to push and pull. A warped real will not be easy to fix (if at all possible...).

I see no point in a petrol mower for 400m2 lawn to cut, less you want the mulcher-function.
Albert

xx
What hand push mower you recommend

Started by grinling on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 20:00
by Lardman
xx
Push Lawn Mower, with battery charge

Started by mrs bouquet on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2018, 22:57
by mrs bouquet
clip
My 'new' push mower

Started by vikingraider on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 12:32
by vikingraider
xx
Push along mower recommendations

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 16:38
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 39 queries.