real ginger beer

• 20 Replies

phil/anne

real ginger beer
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:42 »
hello everyone many years ago my old dad used to make really nice hombrewed ginger beer it looked cloudy and almost yellow in colour but it was really nice I can clearly remember the big old bucket and smelling the contents. But my question is have you got a great old fashioned recipe for this and what equipment I would need besides explosion proof bottles  thanks for looking phil/anne :D

WG.

real ginger beer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:54 »
This is from memory (so it is bound to be old-fashioned) ...

Day 1 : half tsp bakers yeast, tsp sugar, tsp ground ginger, pint of lukewarm water.  Stir well

Days 2 to 7 : Add tsp sugar, tsp ground ginger. Stir well

Day 8 : strain through muslin cloth retaining half of the sediment to start the next batch.  Give the other half to a neighbour

Add water (7 pints  ??), sugar and lemon juice to taste.  Bottle in pop bottles (pref small).  Drink after 1 week.  You can release pressure if they start to feel too taut.

David.

real ginger beer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 15:49 »
Not very alcoholic, isn't that 'ginger pop' rather than ginger beer? (with 1 - 1.5 lbs of sugar in).

WG.

real ginger beer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 15:52 »
Quote from: "David."
Not very alcoholic, isn't that 'ginger pop' rather than ginger beer? (with 1 - 1.5 lbs of sugar in).
Yes, it is basically a soft drink but everyone called it Ginger Beer.  :)

flowergirl

real ginger beer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 20:16 »
not very helpfull but funny. my sister and her fella made some so leathal he had to open it in the shower naked cos it kept exploding!i was told it needs to be really cold (the beer not the shower!)before opening it may be on here if you search exploding ginger beer or something similar :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
real ginger beer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 20:49 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "David."
Yes, it is basically a soft drink but everyone called it Ginger Beer.  :)

This is just the ginger beer we used to make when I was a child.  The sediment we call the "ginger beer plant" - happy days  8)

muntjac

real ginger beer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 21:20 »
anyone remember real dandelion and burdock  :lol: not the cheap immitation stuff they have now ..
still alive /............

WG.

real ginger beer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 21:23 »
We've got some burdock growing wild near our place.  Want a root (so to speak  :oops: )?

Dandelion ... might have some of them too.

Have you got a recipe then?

muntjac

real ginger beer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 21:36 »
lol ya daft kelpie :lol:

muntjac

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
real ginger beer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 00:26 »
Quote from: "WG."
We've got some burdock growing wild near our place.  Want a root (so to speak  :oops: )?

Dandelion ... might have some of them too.

Have you got a recipe then?

And in response also to the author of this thread.  And don't go for pressure bottles and look to cork them solidly.  The pop is too young and too volatile and could be dangerous.  The only possible is definite old champagne bottles and the proper plastic bungs or corks, which you can wire down with salvaged and re-formed wire ties.  It could get tedious.

A Ginger Beer Plant:

Buy 2 oz of fresh baker's yeast (you'll need a bakery).  Put the yeast in a large jar and add half a pint of boiled and cooled water, 2 level teaspoons of sugar and 2 level teaspoons of ground ginger.

Feed your plant for 7 to 10 days by adding each day 1 teaspoon each of ground ginger and sugar.

Strain the mixture thru a piece of muslin or a very fine sieve.  Keep the sediment.*  Add the liquid to the juice of 2 lemons, 1lb of sugar and 1 pint of boiling water.  Stir till the sugar has dissolved, then make up to 1 gallon with cold water.

Put the ginger pop into bottles, filling to 3 inches from the top.  No more than this full.  Leave for 2 hours and not on a stone floor, put a plank under if necessary.  Then cork lightly.  Keep 7 to 10 days before drinking.

On no account use screw capped bottles - danger!!

*The sediment you saved can be divided into 2 halves and each used to start the process all over again.  So now you have twice the potential.  Or pass it on to a friend.

phil/anne

real ginger beer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 11:30 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
anyone remember real dandelion and burdock  :lol: not the cheap immitation stuff they have now ..
I remember that one munty you could only take 1 mouthfull because you would start to hicc up and belch real gas not this stuff now days. Now can anyone remember aztec bars munty your about my age you must remember them about the size of the old mars bars but im pretty sure they came in a purple wrapper  please please tell me im not mad i didnt dream it honest ps thanks everyone for the info got waylayed thinking of the old sweets what would health and safety make of those huge gob stoppers that used to last about 3 weeks and the never ending toffee strip whoops here i go again help bye for now off to the shop phil/anne

muntjac

real ginger beer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 12:00 »
peanuts n fudge toffeee ,,,,,, yuckkkkkk  sickly  if ya ate 3 .pukey if ya ate 5  :mrgreen:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
real ginger beer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 12:26 »
Yep I remember Aztec bars  an Snickers when they was called Marathon
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

phil/anne

real ginger beer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 13:06 »
Quote from: "Celtic Eagle"
Yep I remember Aztec bars  an Snickers when they was called Marathon
thank god someone remembers them my missus is a lot younger than me and because she cant remember them she thinks im of me head ha ha mind you she could be right

xx
Ginger beer

Started by littlewitch on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:51
by willowman
xx
ginger beer

Started by flowergirl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 23:39
by Annie
xx
Ginger Beer

Started by pulse on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 09:33
by zazen999
xx
Ginger beer

Started by bearhugger1972 on Homebrew

76 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 08:51
by Daamoot

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 39 queries.