Summer raspberries

• 3 Replies

GWR

Summer raspberries
« on: July 09, 2017, 20:52 »
Hi.  When I took over my overgrown plot at the end of last year I inherited a row of summer fruiting raspberries.  With little help from me other than some FYM, weeding and cutting out the dead wood we've managed a nice crop which was well received by the family.

This is now coming to a close.  I've read that the canes that fruited this time need to be cut down to ground level and the new canes tied in.  I was thinking of another dressing / mulch of FYM also.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?  Soft fruit growing is very new to me.

Thank you.   

victoria park

Re: Summer raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 21:25 »
Make sure you cut down the right canes that have fruited, as short new growth for next year's fruit will have started sprouting already. Don't confuse with any Autumn fruiting raspberries that might be mixed in and haven't fruited yet, but will be quite tall now. Don't leave the Summer pruning to the ground too long, as you might lose the tell tale evidence of which canes have fruited.
I find chicken pellets and a wood chip mulch in early Spring good enough. Try and keep on top of any couch grass growing around the canes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 21:29 by victoria park »

GWR

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 21:28 »
Good advice - thank you

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 21:40 »
Hi.  When I took over my overgrown plot at the end of last year I inherited a row of summer fruiting raspberries.  With little help from me other than some FYM, weeding and cutting out the dead wood we've managed a nice crop which was well received by the family.

This is now coming to a close.  I've read that the canes that fruited this time need to be cut down to ground level and the new canes tied in.  I was thinking of another dressing / mulch of FYM also.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?  Soft fruit growing is very new to me.

Thank you.
I think you got that just about sussed!👍🏻
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 21:41 by Fairy Plotmother »

xx
Summer Raspberries

Started by blood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 09:02
by Kristen
xx
Summer raspberries

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 13:17
by richyrich7
xx
Summer raspberries

Started by Rosehip on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 13:32
by Rosehip
xx
last Summer's raspberries

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 08:51
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 32 queries.