palms and pots over winter

• 6 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
palms and pots over winter
« on: December 04, 2009, 22:04 »
Hi All, i have some canary palms and another burgandy colour palm in pots on my patio, i also have a bay tree in a pot.

I haven't a clue what to do with these over winter are they ok in a fairly sheltered spot im just worried they ma die :( :(

Thanks for your help :tongue2:

Mickeyboy
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: palms and pots over winter
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 22:21 »
Last winter my potted bay trees were fine outside, but canary island palm died. We'd had it about five years  :unsure:

Best to insulate the pot with bubble wrap, including underneath (holes for water drainage) and some people tie up the leaves into a spike as well.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 22:30 »
Last winter my potted bay trees were fine outside, but canary island palm died. We'd had it about five years  :unsure:

Best to insulate the pot with bubble wrap, including underneath (holes for water drainage) and some people tie up the leaves into a spike as well.

thanks very much again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:48 »
I've never taken too much care of the container plants in my back yard over the winter -  in general I find keeping them alive & happy over hot summers when I'm away on holiday more of a challenge.

Palms (can't remember what types they are - but I would have chosen half-hardy varieties) have always have survived no problem without wrapping or fleecing (though my garden is very sheltered).

What happens to my banana plant depends on how cold it gets - mild years it's fine and the leaves stay alive throughout the winter - colder winters the leaves can wilt & die off overnight - but it springs to life again in late Spring chucking out new leaves. The main stem died off during the cold snap & extra-heavy snow we had down here last winter, but the smaller stalks growing around the base all threw out new leaves soon as it warmed up. I have thought of wrapping it this winter, but decided on balance I like to look at it. But then it was a £5 small plant when I bought it 6 years ago, so although it's a big plant now, I don't consider it an expensive loss should we have a very cold winter again.

So yes, if you don't want to take a gamble, I would wrap for winter.

Bay should be fine I think - they're hardy plants.

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 20:11 »
To be on the safe side, I would cover them with frost fleece. :D

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 23:47 »
Darn... now I really wish I'd protected the banana plant... these freezing temperatures have probably finished it off.

catllar

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 19:23 »
Canary palms aren't hardy here (south of France) whilst they are young and/or in pots. Need much wrapping up, including the pot - I use bubble wrap for the pot, tie up the crown then wrap chicken wire and straw round the palm and the whole thing gets covered in fleece. Banana plants CAN come back again, even if the top has died, so it's still worth covering the dead bits - what's the worst that can happen? Good luck :lol:

xx
palms in frost

Started by mickeyboy on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 15:21
by sunshineband
xx
Big Pots? And Potting mix?

Started by adri123 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 11:19
by adri123
xx
Hydrangias in pots

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 19:48
by Babstreefern
xx
sunflowers in pots

Started by dmg on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 21:04
by dmg

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 37 queries.