star jasmine & clematis nelly moser - will they grow on north facing walls?

• 6 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Does anyone have any experience of growing this on a north facing wall?  The blurb on the labels never say so but I've been told by a gardening RHS person that it would grow on north facing, that they grow anywhere really.

Also have read that nelly moser grows best on north facing walls?

Trying to find something to stick on the patio at the back and it doesn't get any sun at all, stupid place to put a patio IMHO but there you go :o)  Previous owners had planted ordinary jasmine which had no leaves and just was basically long thin straggly sticks.

Can anyone confirm this?

madcat

The RHS site doesnt think so : " http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=302

and the BBC site agrees :
"Star jasmine is a woody, evergreen climber with rich, dark green leaves which turn bronze in winter. From mid- to late summer, pure white, fragrant flowers are produced. It can be grown against a wall in milder climates or in a greenhouse or conservatory in areas prone to severe frosts. Grow in well-drained soil in full sun or partial shade with protection from cold, drying winds. If growing indoors, plant in loam-based potting compost in full light but not direct sun. Water freely and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser monthly during the growing season, and water sparingly in winter."
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
My parents have a Nelly Moser or two which do really well against a north-facing fence; they lose their colours in direct sunlight.

Not sure about the jasmine but wouldn't argue too much with the RHS, assuming that they are talking about the same variety as you are.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Nelley Mose is fine on a north wall and the colours of the flowers stay bright and unfaded too.

Star jasmine is actually J. multiflorum, and needs a warm site. The one that will thrive on a north wall is Common Jasmine J offinale.

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

catllar

sorry to disagree, but star jasmine is not a member of the jasmine family, so it isn't j. multiflorum. It is Trachelospermum jasminoides, sometimes called rhincospermum. It definitely won't grow well in total shade with NO sunlight, very unlikely to flower. I've got 4 of them in my garden and the best ones grow on an east facing wall so they get morning sun. They are now over 7 metres high (in 5 years) and are just gorgeous.  They dont like cold winds or draughts. Excuse the ponificating, but this is one of my favourite shrubs/climbers - every home should have one!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
sorry to disagree, but star jasmine is not a member of the jasmine family, so it isn't j. multiflorum. It is Trachelospermum jasminoides, sometimes called rhincospermum. It definitely won't grow well in total shade with NO sunlight, very unlikely to flower. I've got 4 of them in my garden and the best ones grow on an east facing wall so they get morning sun. They are now over 7 metres high (in 5 years) and are just gorgeous.  They dont like cold winds or draughts. Excuse the ponificating, but this is one of my favourite shrubs/climbers - every home should have one!!!

This is one of the reasons that latin names are crucial!! there is more than one plant called star jasmine, including T jasminoides (which I have on our pergola  :D)  I agree with what you say about the preferred site too.

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Thanks everyone, I didn't think it sounded right either but the bloke sounded convinced he'd seen it growing all manor of places.  The labels always say sun though.

Shame as I was quite hopeful when he said, I did question it and say well they always say to have sun but he was adamant.  I guess I could always get one and try it and if it looks like it's not doing anything or looking poorly could just move the pot to the other side as it'd need to be in a pot anyway.

I really don't know why the people built a patio in complete shade, it's such a waste, we never sit there.  At least we could have grown some nice hosta or something if they'd left it garden!

xx
Star jasmine - looking dead?

Started by bashful_badger on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 06:42
by New shoot
xx
When to prune Star Jasmine

Started by catllar on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 13:42
by catllar
xx
Supports for clematis and jasmine ??

Started by Thrift on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 16:33
by Thrift
xx
Jasmine and Clematis gone wild!

Started by Etherelda on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 18:02
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 34 queries.