Egg sizes

• 7 Replies

Raven81

Egg sizes
« on: June 14, 2011, 22:30 »
We got our hens around a month ago, and they were all meant to be the same age.  They started laying on Friday.  I have been weighing each egg purely out of curiosity. On Friday we had 3 eggs, one was 1.2 ounces and the other two were 1.4 ounces.
Since then we have had two each day which have been roughly 1.4 ounces, however two of these eggs were 2.3 ounces!!!
I was shocked that there could be such a size difference when they have all only just started laying.  I know the eggs start off smaller and settle after a while but these two really big ones surprised me. 
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Fisherman

Re: Egg sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:08 »
They are prone to producing large eggs when the first start laying and sometimes with double yolks. They should settle down after a few weeks although egg size does still vary but not so dramatically. One of mine laid a huge egg early days which I didn't believe was possible. Made me go check if the hen was still able to walk :wacko:

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 13:19 »
I had the exact same thought. Makes me feel better to know it'll calm down. Got just one small egg and a soft shell one today, but am not overly worried by the soft one unless it happens consistently as I'm pretty sure they haven't all laid yet so its probably a first egg!!

brick22

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 14:19 »
Congratulations on your first egg/s. Only one of my 2 has started laying (since Friday) and although not too different in size they are noticebly different plus they seem to be getting darker as each one is laid. I've also noticed that she is getting a lot quicker at laying with the first one taking about 2 hours to come along (poor thing) to about half hour this morning :D
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

hatcher

• www.hatching-eggs.info
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 21:28 »
we used to get a few double yolk large eggs now and again when our hens were younger, they are mostly all between 2 and 7 yrs old now and these days its a very rare thing,now we get lots of large eggs but a double yolk is extremely rare.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:23 »
I always find it hilarious that my 2 chickens lay different shaped eggs. One chook is tall and skinny, her eggs are quite long. The other is somewhat dumpy... fat eggs! I can always tell who has laid which egg  :)
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 20:38 »
Generally my girls lay eggs around the 2oz mark. But every now and then Polly will lay a 3oz egg and its always a double yolker  :)

Raven81

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 17:08 »
My hens always lay brown eggs - various shades but brown!! A few have had white specks on, and I just wondered if it is simply a lack of pigment, in which case nothing to worry about, or is due to the hens lacking something in their diet?
They have only been laying for just over a week, so maybe this will settle down in time. They are eating layers pellets with a few scraps in the afternoon, tho I am struggling to get them to eat their greens!!! I sprinkle grit in their run but they rarely eat any, obviously getting enough naturally (they do a lot of pecking around).

xx
Egg sizes

Started by JohnVW on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 18:46
by joyfull

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 33 queries.