Egg!

• 8 Replies

gibbo

• Experienced Member
Egg!
« on: January 04, 2011, 20:06 »
At long last after waiting for so long i found my first egg yesterday! My legbar, lilly laid me a little blue wonder! I found it outside the coop on the floor. However this morning lily laid her second egg in the nest box, what a cleaver girl!!  Just waiting for my other 3 pullets to start laying now.  Come on girls you can do it!

Foghorn-Leghorn

Re: Egg!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 20:08 »
It's a great feeling finding your first egg isn't it?

My Cream Crested Legbar has just started laying - they're such beautiful blue eggs and so cute and dinky at the moment, it's almost a shame to eat them.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 20:40 »
Eat them!! I was thinking of putting them in a display cabinate!!! Only kidding, im lining them up in the fridge.

Beano

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:45 »
Ha, I like to line them up in the fridge. Our legbars lay different coloured eggs. One lays little khaki coloured eggs and the other lays large greenish eggs. Sometimes if she's forgets the final layer her eggs are blue. When I break the shells I can see a layers of white blue and finaly green. I was very impressed that they knew to lay in the nest box, especially the first one because the others were not laying at the time. One of them layed me a lovely large green egg for my birthday yesterday.
El.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 18:17 »
I love the different coloured eggs too - my egg skelter is quite a talking point when I get visitors and they find their way into the kitchen and see all the eggs in the different shades of browns, green, blue and white  :)

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 20:47 »
I had a minor set back today.  After lilly laying her first six eggs in the nest box todays egg was layed outside, i guess she just couldnt hold it in any longer!  I noticed to that one of my wellsummers, Margo, has started squating today.  She has never done this before so im hoping it is a sign of eggs on the way, not only that its going to be so much easyer to catch her !!!

pekinpete

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16 »
answer to member whose hen squats perhaps she's not wanting to lay but thinks your a cockerel they squat when mating

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 18:26 »
Just a thought....has anyone blown their first eggs so that they can eat the insides but keep the shells for posterity? I wish I'd thought of this earlier. I might do this when I get my new babies in the spring. We could also do it if they lay particularly large eggs too.

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 19:42 »
Yer thought about this today when i cracked open my first very small blue egg!  I thought it would be nice to keep it, but then thought where?! So i ate it and enjoyed. I did take a photo of it, if that makes it beter!

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.