Beetroot

• 10 Replies

Size66

Beetroot
« on: June 14, 2006, 15:49 »
Beetroot, whats the score here, ive planted 3 rows from seed, they're up about 2 inches now and all really close together, do i thin en out or just leave them , if i thin how far apart, looks like im set to lose a lot of i have to go for 10 - 12 inch spacing, thats a shame. :cry:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 16:16 »
Not a beetroot expert myself, but I usually go for 6 inch spacing, otherwise they seem to keep small, and I use the thinnings, to fill in any gaps if a few didn't germinate.  Some books say beetroot don't like being transplanted, and I must admit when them lay down you think you've killed them. OH always says they wont make it, but a few days later, up they come!!!  OH loves his beetroot, so I don't like losing any if I can help it.

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 16:21 »
Ta, we'll see how it goes, just trying to keep on top of weeds at the mo, theyre flying out of the ground

GrannieAnnie

Beetroot
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 16:22 »
Oh don't I know it, haven't done any for a coule of days, now I can hardly see my shallots and onions!!!

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 16:26 »
Ive given up on me beans, what did surface got tangled in last years spud, nettle and weed. Transplanted some lettuce last night , see what happens there.
Ive taken my plot from an old fella who manured and rotovated the plot every year so at least the soil is very light - ive only been on it 6 weeks and have it full of bits and pieces

GrannieAnnie

Beetroot
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 16:46 »
shame you're not near me and was on last week.  I gave 35 runner bean plants away to one of our new members!!!  I ran out of room on my eg patch and OH isn't keen on me digging up more garden!!!!   lol

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 16:48 »
In newcastle

andy_jacko

• http://www.comebrowse.net
Beetroot
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 17:44 »
I gave 35 runner bean plants away to one of our new members!!!

which have now been put in and are looking very strong, the toms are looking good aswell ;)

christine.
curioser and curioser

comic_muse

Re: Beetroot
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 20:28 »
Quote from: "Size66"
Beetroot, whats the score here, ive planted 3 rows from seed, they're up about 2 inches now and all really close together, do i thin en out or just leave them , if i thin how far apart, looks like im set to lose a lot of i have to go for 10 - 12 inch spacing, thats a shame. :cry:

Point with Beetroot seed is...it isn't !  It's a capsule of seeds, unless you use a 'mono' variety.  When you plant 'a' seed, you are actually planting  cluster of seeds......so when you sow in the row you are planting clusters of seeds every few cm, not individual seeds.  A good plan with all manner of stuff like Parsnips, Beet etc is to 'station sow', three or so seeds every 4" or so, far less thinning & your spaces are pretty much set out as the stuff comes up.  Saves on thinning, saves on seed.....rarely (if ever) fails.
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

Size66

Beetroot
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:22 »
Didnt know that - Ta

GrannieAnnie

Beetroot
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 19:37 »
Hi Christine, so you've taken the plants off the kitchen floor then?????  Pleased they seem to be doing well.

xx
Beetroot help please

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 12:13
by DD.
xx
Beetroot

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 22:40
by Kristen
xx
Beetroot

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 09:52
by ches
xx
Beetroot

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 23:21
by Annie

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 38 queries.