Limping Hen

• 5 Replies

stujem

Limping Hen
« on: April 14, 2011, 21:47 »
Hi all, since Monday one of my hens started to limp, I don't know why but my 5 year old said it jumped off a log but the log was only a foot high, if that was the reason? She is eating, drinking and still laying her eggs. and still run's with a hop & a limp when I get the meals worms out! She go's to bed ok but now sleeps on the floor, which I don't mind because of her leg. Can a chicken heal itself? I have checked her leg by moving it and she does not mind, I checked her foot and she can grasp ok and will stand on both legs but slighly leaning to the side which looks like she is not putting her full weight on the one leg.  Has anybody had a chicken with a limp? if so did the hen recover ok? Is there anything I should check for as I am no expert. Any advice/suggustions gratefully received.
Stu

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Limping Hen
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 22:41 »
Sorry to hear about your limping hen, Stu.

It sounds like you've given her a good checking over - well done.  The only thing you didn't mention is whether you checked the pad on the underside of her foot.  Look at all the soft tissue under there and see if you can see any damage to the skin, the webbing between the toes or anything else.  Particularly note if there's a hard scab or sore as this could indicate a condition called 'bumblefoot'.

Like us, a hen can recover from minor sprains or scratches.  But if there's broken skin and infection sets in, it can get much more complicated.

Let us know how you get on.

stujem

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 23:05 »
Thank you for your reply, I have felt her pads and looked to see if there was any damage and all seems well. What I will do tomorrow is that I wil get my wife to hold her and I will get right in there to have a very close look and feel. I may have missed something as I was holding her and looking at the same time.

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 23:14 »
Occasionally one of my chickens decides to limp for a while, despite no obvious signs.  I guess that as they're free ranging they're always getting up to mischief and also occasionally I have accidently stood on a foot whilst trying to make my way through the unruly mob when I have some food.  After a good look to check it's not something more serious I just keep an eye on them for the next few days and so far it's always cleared up within a week.  I guess hens can be as clumsy as we are (she says limping after stubbing her toe!)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:25 »
Just like us, chickens can get strains and sprains, in the feet/toes, ankles, hocks and thighs.

Although you can't tell a chicken to put their foot up and rest it, most tend to im[prove over the course of several days.

One of my brahmas had a bit of a flap coming out of the cage at the show where I bought her, and she limped for about 2 weeks.  She is now walking fine, and only limps a little when she's running.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31 »
one of mine is limping (she had a nasty graze on the side of her leg) and she is kept in a little seperate ark (with her best friend) for a short while in the morning so she can eat safely and then let out to be with the others. When she has had enough she takes herself back to the little ark to rest up for a while. She is now putting her foot down more and more  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Limping and looking sad

Started by Honey65 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 17:39
by Honey65
xx
Limping hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:06
by Foxy
xx
Limping hen

Started by Sylvester on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:34
by Sylvester
xx
Limping

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 10:15
by chickenlicken

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 40 queries.