Bad year for tomatoes

• 13 Replies

ricky

Bad year for tomatoes
« on: August 01, 2019, 22:15 »
Hi all is anyone have trouble with their tomatoes this year, I am growing a few different breeds but mostly ferline all plants have produced just 1 or 2 trusses and then nothing plenty of flowers but no growth , I have heard other growers saying the same here in n.Ireland the weather in the spring was awful wet and dull and the summer not much to shout about , an odd good day but it can be well over 30c in the tunnels in the day and drop to 8c at night , in over 45 years of growing I've never seen it as bad , have you guy's had any problems.

DanielCoffey

Re: Bad year for tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 22:49 »
I have never grown these Urbikany bush tomatoes before but like you, I have a few green fruits form the early trusses then nothing but huge amounts of leaf growth and more flowers than the hoverflies know what to do with. Very few fruits setting though. They are outdoors on a sunny patio.

I put it down to the amount of wind we have been having up here in South Ayrshire.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 23:15 »
My toms are in my polytunnel. The first trusses polinated very poorly, no doubt due to the cold May we had, but since then everything has got back on track.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:02 »
Locally there are reports of normal sized tomatoes only growing to cherry sized tomatoes at best so far.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 12:46 »
As I've posted elsewhere, temperatures over around 30C can kill the pollen, leading to poor fruit set.

Wind shouldn't be a problem, as tomatoes are generally wind pollinated (it's really about shaking or vibrating the flowers to distribute the pollen inside - bees can also do that, as can you just by tapping the stems.)

Hopefully those with problems will see an improvement with the recent lower temperatures.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 16:04 »
Yes, that very very hot spell certainly halted fruit formation for a while, especially outside, where my plants are in full sun all day.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 19:29 »
Bit of a slow start, but no problems with size.
67538374_10219542611015188_5997872784632446976_n.jpg
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

wighty

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 20:24 »
The cherries are plentiful, but green and they are in full sun all day, really sturdy plants.  The large toms are also only cherry size but beginning to swell but they are a bit more in the shade.  We haven't had such swings of temperature as some of you, just steady warmth but we are suffering from lack of water (under threat of a hose  p ipe ban at the moment).

missmoneypenny

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 19:56 »
I’m in London so not much help to you. I have severely de leafed, as I do each year. I have plenty of green tomatoes and 1 red one!  So maybe a bit behind the last few years. My tomatoes are grown outdoors. There was a touch of blight a month ago but touch wood I nipped it in the bud. So not looking too bad so far. I grow ferline, Black Russian and Roma.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 22:52 »
I have no problem with the amount of good sized fruit, however they have only started to ripen this week which is later than normal...but they doing so at a great rate :ohmy:....some of my plants are SO fruit heavy they are bending over and I am going to have to do something tomorrow to stop them toppling over due to the weight, especially the outside varieties and the alleged high winds coming.  I can see the green ones have a tinge, so hopefully they are also about to ripen soon.

i will have to get mr goose to start steralising the jars as i feel that we will shortly be doing a mamoth amount of pasta sauce making for the winter months:D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 22:53 by goose »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 08:31 »
Same here as Goose.  They are later, but there are loads of them, both inside the greenhouse and out on the plot.   All seem normal sized as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 23:15 »
I am having a better year than we did last year and so far apart from one plant (San mazarno) going a little funny I have no complaints.
Already made 14 bags of passata from the plums and plenty of salad (Heinz 1370) toms and tons of sweet million cherries.
Its been the cucumbers that have been hard work
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 09:31 »
The cherries were a bit later than usual, but are cropping like mad now, the bigger size ones are really slow going though (all in the greenhouse) I've only had 1 ripe beefsteak so  far but it was gorgeous - can't wait for the rest :)

lettice

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 09:50 »
My tomatoes have done as well as ever.
A few pics over the last few weeks of my pickings.

I have grown Amateur, Nectar Rose, Sam Marzano, Marmande, Golden Sunrise, Garden Pearl, Red cherry, Tigrella, Gardener's Delight.

I use all my San Marzano for frozen tomato paste, as you can see in the bowls and also for using along with some other varieties into frozen tomato soup.

Still plenty growing in greenhouse and outside.
I grow my San Marzano, Marmande, Nectar Rose all outside in pots and also outside the Red cherry and Garden Pearl in hanging baskets.
The rest are grown in the greenhouse.
tom1.gif
tom 2.gif
tom3.gif
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:53 by lettice »

xx
this year's tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2019, 17:59
by upert
xx
Tomatoes this year vs last

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2021, 17:14
by Growster...
xx
Very bad year for tomatoes and onuons!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 22:27
by viettaclark
xx
Tomatoes late this year ?

Started by Cleo on Grow Your Own

90 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 14:07
by SalJ1980

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 56 queries.