Making own wooden containers for herbs / salads

• 5 Replies

bethanlg

Making own wooden containers for herbs / salads
« on: January 24, 2012, 13:33 »
Hi !
This year I'm thinking of creating my own wooden containers (with help from very practical Dad ! ) which I can then fill with my own organic herbs / salads etc as presents for friends and family.  My main issue is what type of wood to use, can it be treated and what with??!

From the research I've done, I can't use pressure treated wood, as chemicals can leak into the soil and even if there's a membrane between the wood and the soil, there could still be contamination.

I'm really stuck here on what the most practical solution is ! Hope I'm not being naive - but would love to be able to make this work.  :)

Thanks,
Beth

Modified to make it easier to read
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 21:32 by Ice »

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
Re: Making own wooden containers for herbs / salads
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 17:34 »
IF YOU WANT SOMETHING REASONABLE TRY RECYCLING WOODEN FRUIT TRAYS....

ASK YOUR LOCAL FRUIT / VEGETABLE RETAILER OR LOCAL MARKETS....

IDEAL TRAY SIZE  -- LINE WITH NEWSPAPER OR CARDBOARD TO STOP COMPOST COMMING OUT.

:blush:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 18:00 by Yorkie »
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 19:41 »
"Hope I'm not being naive - but would love to be able to make this work."

Most enlightening statement I've read tonight Beth! Marvellous, and no, you're not!

Treated softwood should be just fine, as long as it doesn't have awful stuff like tar of creosote etc!

Of course, it depends on the size of container you're planning, but keep it small, tight, like a box a couple of foot square, with a base so that water etc can dribble out and stop everything waterlogging. And then you can diversify each time you think you might like to grow another sort of herb! You can then make yet another?

Presumably Dad can help make the containers, bit if you want to do your own, there are better old geezers than me to advise! I'm a bit basic when it comes to getting these things done - I tend to make do with older stuff, and not worry too much...;0)

Let us all know how you get on - presents of herbs are priceless, and the very best of luck!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 20:40 »
Newer treated woods don't contain the dangerous chemicals that were originally used, and many gardeners have used them for raised beds. If you're still unsure, you can make the box out of treated wood, then line it with a sheet of poly with drainage holes punched below. This gives you a long-lasting exterior box and peace of mind of what grows inside.

These days I find the treated lumber almost the same price as untreated, and on occasion, treated wood is cheaper. Go figure  ???

Wooden fruit trays are great because they're free, but don't expect them to last long as these softwoods rarely last beyond two years due to their thinness and water damage.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 20:49 »
Not a wooden box but I re-used a canvas lined woven rattan type box that a food hamper had been presented in. It worked really well and looked smart with it's salad, spring onions, radish and a chive in each corner, oh and beetroot too.  I was chuffed to bits with it

I think untreated timber would be good for your box and then you could paint the outside with water based paint in any colour you fancy

bethanlg

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 16:32 »
 :)

Thanks for all the replies ! It's more straightforward than I thought (!)  ;) - so here goes . . . . . .

Aiming to do first one in the next couple of weeks (making sure the cost is worth it, against buying), but I think ultimately, family/friends would love it if they knew it was all made for them.  Better get growing too !  I'll post a piccie . . .soon !

Beth

xx
Wooden Polytunnel

Started by gardener247 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 14:47
by gardener247
xx
Best way to take apart wooden pallets?

Started by Hesse2509 on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 14:57
by bazh
xx
DIY wooden greenhouse!

Started by freefolk on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2019, 16:07
by sunshineband
xx
Creative use for wooden pallets?

Started by RJR_38 on Design and Construction

27 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 08:37
by Fairy Plotmother

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.