Glazing a large second-hand greenhouse

• 6 Replies

Julie Pattisson

« on: February 28, 2008, 12:35 »
Hello,  allotment colleages....

We have been lucky enough to come by a former commercial greenhouse, approx 20ft by 10ft, which is probably two greenhouses put together. Following shot-blasting and powder-coating it looks magnificent, but we are having trouble putting it up! We think the metal structure is just about square, but are now facing getting the glass in. Is it better to leave the bolts in the structure a little loose to allow some play while the glass is going in, or tighten it all up and hope it doesn't need to move to accomodate the glass? And what order to glaze in, roof or sides first? All advice appreciated....  :roll:

Julie
Julie

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 15:00 »
Hi Julie welcome to the forums  :D  

I've just rebuilt a 6 x 12, personally I'd make sure the frame was square first , tighten the bolts then glaze from the roof down, it's a real pain when you have done the sides then try to lean over to get the roof done, and then put your foot through the glass   :oops:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peterjf

greehouse glazing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 23:34 »
hello , put the larger panes of glass to the roof first, then the sides , and finally the back and the front ,

any missing rubber buffers can be replaced with bathroom sealant , its cheaper then buy new, 6 spots of sealent is usually enough, put the sealant on the green house frame , not the grass ,  

the next morning you can cut the sealant level with the frame , just to tidy it up,

GOOD LUCK

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 23:35 »
the roof glass is lighter then the sides , giving the sides srength and the roof lesser wieght

Julie Pattisson

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 21:00 »
Thank you all for the very sound advice - would have got it done this weekend but for the rising wind (not sensible to half-do it!) so will keep you posted.  In the meantime, any hints for establishing a growing border inside a greenouse??   :roll:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 21:10 »
Add plenty of compost or manure whatever is easiest for you,possibly add grit to if the soil is heavy and double dig it, make a good path down the centre, mines made from a timber surround with a  hardcore base and gravel to finish, Possibly even think about putting in some trickle hose or similar, thats my next move.  :D

Julie Pattisson

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 21:42 »
Delighted to report that greenhouse is now fully glazed, floored, and up and running.  Just have to dig the bed and add grit as suggested.  

Has anyone experience of capillary matting watering systems?  Do they work?  Is the micropore plastic over the top (to stop roots growing in) a good idea, and does anyone know a good web-based source of the matting and the micro-pore?

Thanks!

:lol:

xx
Greenhouse glazing help

Started by Slugmonster on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 15:26
by Hillbillypop
xx
ok am glazing the greenhouse myself

Started by Gleavo on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 16:50
by savbo
xx
Greenhouse glazing

Started by supervegman on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 21:28
by Stree
xx
Greenhouse Glazing Strip

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 22:13
by peterjf

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 33 queries.