over wintering veg

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

over wintering veg
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:04 »
OK this is probably a dumb question but this is the first time that I have tried to grow things over winter.

I have mizuna, spinach, giant mustard and Kale.

Do these continue growing over the winter months allowing harvesting or do they just survive so that they are ready to spring into action?  :wub:

The mizuna and giant mustard are still providing us with salad but the spinach seems to have come to a bit of a halt.

BabbyAnn

Re: over wintering veg
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28 »
Basically nothing on an open plot grows over winter when temperatures drop so anything that is to be cropped is usually at the harvesting stage by then, or if it is for spring cropping then as you say, they just go dormant until conditions improve.  If we get a mild winter (temperatures well above 10oC - we've even had temperatures up to 15oC in some recent winters), then yes some winter hardy plants may start to grow.

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:37 »
As far as I understand it, winter veg doesn't necessarily mean it will grow all through the winter, it ust means you can plant it out then and the harsh conditions of winter won't kill it whilst giving you a bit of a head start when spring starts.  That's an interesting list of veg you've mentioned there, I might have to try some of that one year.  What spinach are you growing Grubbypaws?  I had great spinach last year - not in winter - but have had rotten luck with it this year.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:54 »
medania

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 16:59 »
Suffolk Herbs say that medania is
An autumn sown variety for spring cutting
which explains everything  ;)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 18:31 »
I have grown it all year and it has been superb; only variety not to bolt so far. I cant quite remember when I put these plants in but I have already had plenty of meals from them and now wait to see what will happen in spring.

I think that the reason for the instruction on suffolk herbs is that this variety can be sown in autumn and survive the winter.

Just had another plate of mizuna though. I am leaving the large leaves to keep the plant nourished and am harvesting the baby leaves as they grow. Same with the oriental mustard. Fresh salad leaves in November  :D

Never stop exploring  AKA making it up as you go ::)

xx
Wintering over?

Started by Lula on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 14:34
by noshed
xx
Over-wintering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:17
by mumofstig
xx
Over wintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2019, 19:08
by johnjsdb
xx
over wintering peas?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 10:21
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 40 queries.