My heart is heavy !! HELP PLEASE

• 17 Replies

caroline or

My heart is heavy !! HELP PLEASE
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:24 »
Hi ,

We have four three and half year old  girls(they are wormed reg) One over the last 4 weeks has had a bad breathing problem, we have been back and fro to the vets she has had one lot of antibiotics in the water then she had an endoscope under GA(they only could see lots of mucus) then they gave her an injected antibiotic and now she has Bisolvon Bronchial mucoltic. She is just the same.  Oddly all through this is has been running around and eating drinking ,the vet says she has lost 300gms in weight over 3 weeks.So with her, the vet is stumped as to what the real cause is!

Over the last couple of days one of the others has lost her appetite ,her comb has shrunk and seems really not aware of what is going on.This morning whilst watching her drink she regurgitated some of the water which looked orange.

Please help me with any advise ...its just making me so sad that I cant help them more

Thanks in advance.

bantam novice

Re: My heart is heavy !! HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 13:16 »
I am not an expert but I am wondering if the second hen you talk about (which regurgetated water) could have a sour or impacted crop.  You could try feeling the crop and massaging it very gently to see if she brings any more gunk up.  Does her breath smell?  If you type sour crop into the search box in the top right hand corner you should find all sorts of information.  In the meantime I wish you and all your hens the best of luck.  Keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 21:12 »
I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It is really frustrating isn't it but the vets don't see all that many chickens as they have only relatively recently become pets. If the first one you describe is still eating and drinking then maybe she will get over it. At least the weather is warm and dry. I would maybe check that there is not too much dust or damp in the hen house or run.

Send them our love!

Bev

caroline or

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:20 »
Thanks Bev and Bantam Novice,

She is worse today so off to the vet asap.

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:28 »
whatever you do, dont give up.
we lost 5 out of our first 6 pure breeds to mareks that came with them from the breeder, cost a fortune at the vets and defra, then lost the next 3 pure breeds to the same.
now on hybrids, and they are fantastic, real characters, no fear, always looking for ways into the house.
it really can get better, we had maybe the worst start to chicken keeping that anyone can have, but it can get better, honest

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:54 »
fingers crossed for you xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 14:52 »
Good luck and keep us posted  :)

caroline or

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 20:50 »
Update ....

The chicky with the severe breathing probs has now been given Sporanox which is antifungal.

The chicky with the weight loss has been given Nystatin

Time will tell I guess !!!

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 22:14 »
good luck with them it is always a worry when pets are sick but you are going to great lengths to help them
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

caroline or

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 23:03 »
The saddest thing just happened......Hubby  and I were sitting in the garden and heard this all mighty noise.. rosey....we rushed to the Hen House and Three of the four chickens were out of bed ...We looked in the house to see Effie the hen with the sour crop dead .
We are so sad and feel that we should have done more.....I am going to phone the vets tomorrow and ask if they want to do a postmortem as a teaching exercise ....I think that the time has come that we need to tell vets that these litttle animals that we love are on par with cats and dogs..,

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48 »
so sorry  :( xx

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 13:36 »
Such sad news  :(
Hope things look up for you from now on.

daisy1990

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 13:38 »
how sad and couldn't agree more about some (not all) vets who see 'farm animals' as a disposable commodity.  We all need to find hen friendly vets and stick with them.  Good luck with your other girls

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 15:51 »
This post is somewhat similar to your issue here.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=80330.msg899883#msg899883

Why is your vet not sure about the diagnosis?  Respiratory infections in chx are common and just at the moment there seems to be a spate of posts on Chronic Respiratory Disease problems so I suspect teh conditions are just right for this condition.

I'd suggest the recent heat has brought this dormant stress related disease on.  Once it affects their lungs it's almost impossible to shift.

HF
Truth through science.

caroline or

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 18:04 »
Update.....Sadly this afternoon Penny with the breathing probs was put to sleep :( The vet asked if I would allow a post mortem .I have just had a phone call with the results and she had inhaled a seed or a pod and it was lodged in the wind pipe just before the lungs.Its so sad as we had the endoscope down there 3 weeks ago but they didnt see it.

So this week I have lost two of my lovely chick chicks ....leaving just two and now I dont know if I should get some more before one little one is left on its own ??

xx
Is it a dicky heart?

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 19:49
by Jane-M
xx
heart broken chicken

Started by chicklady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 19:54
by joyfull
xx
warming the cockerels of your heart

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 18:06
by Foxy
sad
Heart problem - blue comb

Started by Bev on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 20:53
by Bev

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 37 queries.