Where to buy chickens Lincolnshire?

• 26 Replies

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« on: August 02, 2007, 15:29 »
Hi
I am really glad to find this site, I am about to be a newbie to keeping chickens and am quite excited at the prospect.

My question is does anyone know of a good place to buy point of lay chickens in Lincolnshire please?

I am in Grimsby North East Lincolnshrie, but dont mind travelling.
What are they likely to cost?
can anyone recommend breed for a beginner who would like good egg production and friendly hens?  

OK so that was three question tee hee I will probably be getting 4 to start with.  :D

Very excited and about ready to build their home and run..this weekend!!!
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 16:50 »
If you fancy rescuing a few ex battery hens chicky, call John on
01673 858288.  He's the rescue co-ordinator for Lincolnshire and he lives at Wragby-by-Langton near lincoln.  Some of thme lay, some don't, some live for months or a couple of years and some die within days, but at least they end their lives in a happy home!  They charge 50p a bird!

The only ohters I know of in Lincolnshire is

Mr Sellers on 01790 763296 (mobile 07770 603006)  He is at Keal Cotes and charges £4.25 a bird (hybrids - lots of eggs!)   and a lady in Friskney on 01754 820000 who charges £3.95 a bird, they are also hybrids.

Sorry I don't know of anyone nearer to you than that!!  Good luck!!!

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 13:47 »
Thanks for the reply, I have considered ex battery hens and while the idea of giving them a happy ending appeals enourmously I have decided against it.

I am having chickens for lots of reasons, however I really do have 'eggs' high on my list of reasons to have them so I will be going for hybreds. to begin with.  

The contacts are most useful thanks for that I will be contacting once I have got my hen house and run ready.

Any other contacts perhaps closer to me would be very welcome and recommendation of breed etc for lots of eggs??

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 15:48 »
try louth market ,, also caister top  is just up the road from u ,,,,,,,,ex yellowbelly here 2  :wink:
still alive /............

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 15:59 »
Louth market would be great .. trouble is I wouldnt know a nice healthy point of lay bird from a grannie on her last legs ..which was in fact a parrot  :oops:

Would you recommend the market anyway? I didnt know they sold live birds there?

a yellow belly eh ...well hi from sunny Grimsby/cleethorpes look I am waving tee hee bet you miss it  here.. where are you now?

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 16:01 »
pols look young so dont be worried about wrinkles on em,, in  nth suffolk ,and i sure dont miss it  :lol:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:46 »
I have had no luck finding a supplier for welsummers so am going to get bovan goldlines and amberlincs which I can get hold of

I hadnt heard of amberlincs, the lady (who was the one recommended in an earlier response- so thanks for that) says they lay well and are white birds laying a brown egg, would these be ok?

.. It will be a 50 mile drive each way to collect them but seems chickens are hard to get hold of around here and we dont mind the drive really.

I havent commited to getting them just yet so would still be grateful for anyone who knows of any other info you think would be better, closer, better breed etc

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:52 »
how much is the first question.....? plus petrol

have you tried the  local pet stores? maybe they know of someone who keeps them

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:42 »
they are £3.95 for the goldlines and 30p more for the amberlincs, the petrol will be erm .. hmm not good at maths but its 48 miles and we get about 33 to the gallon so thats ... chicky looking for extra fingers to count with....   erm lots  :D

I will definately go and ask in pet shops never thought of that, nothing in yellow pages or ocal papers which suprised me.

I am also asking around locally for anyone who keeps hens so I can ask them about thier suppliers etc.

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 11:50 »
they are dang cheap so grab em  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 18:06 »
Make sure they are not young cocks  :shock:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 14:08 »
I wouldnt know how to find out if they are young cocks? ok no naughty answers hee hee  :oops: but how can I tell please

I did think it sounded reasonable and the lady sounds lovely, will make the local phone calls anyway but will probably buy from there.

Anyone know if I would be best off with the goldlines or amberlincs or a mix?  

I am mostly keeping them for eggs..will not be roasting em and may well end up enjoying them as pets too knowing me

chickychick

• Experienced Member
hmmm
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 14:28 »
Just contacted the local feed merchants and been told that the only suppliers are the battery farm not too many miles away, she told me that they actually leave the brids at the side of the road when they are past their useful laying age, and the locals go and pick them up from there

I was quite shocked about it cause the poor things wont have a clue what is what having been shut up all their lives.  Of course I dont know if its true but she seemed quite sure about it, perhaps she meant that they are in a box or something sort of free for collection, but it really didnt sound like that!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 15:56 »
That sounds a bit bizarre to me cc  :?

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 16:23 »
just go for a mix you will get eggs from them and make a nice show ...( and be able to tell em apart  :lol:

xx
Chicks in Lincolnshire

Started by gillian62 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 20:19
by joyfull
xx
Lincolnshire Buff

Started by D on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 19:16
by bantam novice
xx
Next Lincolnshire Hen Rescue!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Bird Flu Bourne Lincolnshire

Started by grinling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 17:07
by grinling

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 38 queries.