buying an automatic pop hole opener? Advice please :)

• 7 Replies

sirius951

buying an automatic pop hole opener? Advice please :)
« on: November 25, 2010, 20:43 »
Hello
I know a lot has been posted on these before but I'm looking into buying one ready for when I set up my hen house in spring. I gather VSB are very popular but have seen on by some people called Chuxaway on ebay that looks very reasonable and wondered if it was any good.  
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300489722029&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Also has anybody ever used one made by a company called The Hen House?
http://www.hen-house.co.uk as I have been offered one of these second hand - apparently they are £120 new but there's no info on the website that I can find.
Can anybody tell me if either of these are any good or should I just suck it up and fork out for the VSB one and a timer?
Any other  bargains to be had?
I can't make my own as I can just put a plug on let alone anything else! :D
I gather it's best to get a timer and set it for an hour after dusk or so just in case my hens are slow at bedding down for the night and get locked out.
Alternatively I know 2nd hand ones are like hens teeth ::) but if anybody spots one any where please let me know.
It's a lot to fork out at once when you are setting up isn't it and it's hard to economise without sacrificing quality any help in avoiding costly mistakes will be gratefully received!
So far I have decided on a Leghorn hen house from P&T poultry , 3 - 4 Black Rock chucks and getting one of these once I've worked it out.
Next stop feeders and drinkers! Eeek!
Many thanks for all of your help!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 20:55 by sirius951 »

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: buying an automatic pop hole opener? Advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44 »
I too am not good at DIY, my automatic door was fitted by the henhouse makers and I wouldn't be without it.  It works on a daylight timer, which works for me.  In an ideal world I would like a override switch so I could shut the door early once I knew they were all in, but I imagine this is not cheaply do-able.  The one you provide a link to, you can pick the time to open/close which you can't on mine, but you have to keep changing it (which doesn't look complicated) so pros and cons.  Whichever you buy I'm sure you won't regret it. 

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 15:41 »
I have the auto door opener and the timer which gives you full lexibility should you have a few stragglers at dusk or if you are not home like me doing night shifts.  Would not be with out one now, best money I ever spent on the chickens!
mrs.ploppy

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 16:54 »
Can't comment on either of those.  But can definitely recommend the VSB one. 

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Auto_Chicken_House_Door_Opener.html#aVSBbi

We have the external version together with the metal door.  Very easy to install.  We've had it for more than 18 months and it's never failed yet, and still on the original batteries.  I wouldn't be without it to be honest. 

sirius951

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 22:53 »
I was thinking as I'm not getting the chickens until spring when the weathers warming up a bit maybe I could just leave the pop hole open overnight. They will be in a secure run and out of the wind and we could make a little porch around the pop hole for added draught protection. That would buy us some time to save up for the opener for when the weather gets cooler. Any thoughts?  :)

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 20:12 »
How secure is your secure run going to be? Are you absolutely certain a fox couldn't get in to it?

Junie

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 20:20 »
I have left the pop hole open all night before, when we have been away for a few days.  They have a secure run.  They have been fine, but I am aware that a pole cat or similar may be able to get through although I do not know if we have any near us.   I am hoping for an automatic pop hole for Christmas asI would feel happier going away, knowing they are safer.

sirius951

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 15:55 »
I haven't built the run yet but it's all being planned to start in spring. I intend to make it indestructible! It will be skirted around with paving slabs to stop foxes from getting in, tall enough for my 6 foot hubby to walk into without stooping and roofed so nothing can get in from above. I was going to get the smallest mesh hole size I can to discourage rodents and maybe even slab the run over completely and deep litter it. And hopefully big enough for the 3 of them to be ok staying in there when we are out without getting bored. I figure it's worth going to some extra trouble on the run for peace of mind. I was just thinking that when the weather is warm enough I quite like the idea of them being able to come in and out as they please although when it comes to it I may change my mind. It depends on how confident I am about run security I suppose. I will get a pop hole opener as soon as I can I think so maybe it's a bit academic about leaving the pop hole open. It depends on whether I can save up enough in time what with everything else I need to get!  :unsure: Many thanks for your comments people! :)

xx
Automatic Pop Hole Opener

Started by Slatz on The Hen House

65 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 12:55
by coco
xx
Automatic pop hole opener

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 16:41
by slowef
xx
automatic pop-hole opener

Started by lesleyann on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 22:08
by lesleyann
xx
Automatic Pop Hole Opener Question

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 17:35
by ehs284

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 35 queries.